House bound with broken rear springs on my '02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

House bound with broken rear springs on my '02

Bob Explorer 200

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi folks,

I'm a new member here. My '02 X got a rejection sticker because both rear coil springs are broken and my air bag light is on. Being retired and living alone, what that amounts to is sitting in my house until I get it fixed. To compound matters, my PC went down just before I had to take the truck off the road, so I've been coming to town library when I can get a ride or a bus (limited public transportation in this area) in order to go on line to search for some info on repairs. A real mess!

Fortunately I eventually found this site. With all the great info and suggestions I've found here in the past few days, I've been counting my blessings ever since. I plan to address the spring problem first and, when that's done, worry about the air bag light.

So, here are some of the particulars: I've got somewhat limited skills as a mechanic. I've done brake jobs and replaced rotors, along with all the lesser tasks, but I usually end up struggling and plugging my way through until I eventually get it done. So, the plan is to go ahead with this thing.

The truck has 120,000 mi on it and is a 2WD. I want to get a pair of Monroe Quick Struts rather than fooling around with a spring compressor and all the extra work entailed in just replacing the springs alone. Will probably be ordering them on line through Rockauto.com or some other vendor. Any suggestions on which one would get me the best price?

Will be buying some PB Blaster and a 13 mm ratcheting box wrench for the 3 top bolts on strut assembly. What other metric wrench sizes will I needd? And what other tools should I be getting?

Is it a good idea to drop the spare in order to get enough room to manage the 3 top bolts?

I don't have a torque wrench right now and would like to know how critical it is to get the torques just right--i.e., is it possible/advisible to "eyeball" them by guesstimating torque? If not, will NAPA or some other store rent me a TW?

From what I've read here, getting replacement fasteners, etc (bolts, grommets, jounce bumpers and nuts) seems like a good idea. Will Autozone or some other store carry these specific items or are they all OEM? Also, are the 3 top bolts and single bottom bolt included with the Quick Strut?

I'll be using jack stands. Is there anything I should know about or precautions I should take regarding difficulties getting the parts properly aligned or having the wheels on the floor before tightening bolts/nuts (i.e., which bolts or nuts should I leave untightened until the wheels are on ground?)?

I'll probably be working alone, so is getting the lower arm down with a 2x4/pry bar while removing the broken unit going to be that much of a problem? I ask because I noticed that some of you guys got it done working solo.

It should go without saying that any other suggestions or info that you guys want to offer will be very much appreciated.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me start by welcoming a fellow Bay Stater to the forum!! :salute:

A few of the forum members have installed the Quick Struts from Prime Choice Auto Parts with favorable results.

I am getting ready to replace my rear struts and plan on using them.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Yeah, Rondo, that definitely would help. A much better price than the Monroe units, even with their rebate. X has 120k on it, so less expensive is better. Thanks for the tip. When do you plan to start the work on yours?

And thanks for the welcome. I live in Newburyport now but a long time ago spent 4 years in Worcester at HC.

Yeah, Rondo, that definitely would help. A much better price than the Monroe units, even with their rebate. X has 120k on it, so less expensive is better. Thanks for the tip. When do you plan to start the work on yours?

And thanks for the welcome too. I live in Newburyport now but a long time ago spent 4 yes living inWorcester

Bob, with the exception of the 13 years I spent in the Marine Corps, I am a life long resident of Worcester. I plan on doing my rear struts within the next 2 weeks or so. I have some other things I need to take care of first, before the snow flies!!:confused::confused:

On your air bag light, count the flashes of your air bag light and post the number and we'll start diagnosing it. It will be a repeating two digit code, i.e. *** ****** *** ******* =37.

NCranchero,
That would be great. I'd appreciate the help and sorry for delay in getting back to you. I checked today and it's a repeating series of ... ... (i.e., 3 flashes pause then 3 more). So I guess that would be 33, right? Any info on that would be a big help.

Rondo,
I ordered the 2 strut assemblies from Prime Choice. UPS says they'll be deliv'd Friday. Got started on the prep work today. Took off rear wheels and hit all the necessary bolts & nuts w/PB Blaster.

Discovered a problem in the process. The threads end of the long bolt that connects the knuckle and lower arm evidently got hit by a rock or something on the ground and is bent. I'm thinking I'll have to cut it with a small hand-held hack saw, but it looks like very little room to maneuver. Anybody have any ideas on this?

My1zamboni,
Thanks a lot. That looks like the exact info I'll need. Right now we have the X with the passenger side on a jack stand and the driver side right up against the garage wall, so can't really get at the seat on that side. But we will be able to as soon as the psngr side strut assembly is installed. The new struts should be delivered tomorrow. But I feel much better knowing what the air bag light problem involves. Much appreciated.

Haven't been able to work on X today (I have a ruptured spinal disc--very sore back) but hope to be at it again tomorrow.

Major problem now is dealing with the bent bolt connecting knuckle to lower arm. Might have to saw it with a hack saw but small amount of room down there might make that a tough job.

Did you guys ever the the quick strut assembly installed?

If so, how difficult was it and would you guys be available to help if I gave it a shot?

Thanks

Rondo could you pass by Bobs house and make sure he is okay. Make sure with his bad back an all he hasnt been stuck under his truck for a year now.

I'm fine and, with the help and guidance info provided by you guys, we got job done. Never would have happened if I'd never found this site. I thought I ended this thread by explaining this outcome but evidently didn't. So here's a huge thank you to all you folks for the invaluable assistance.
Next project on the X is replacing the front brake pads. Should be a cakewalk compared with the strut job, but I'm sure I'll check in here to get some info. Thanks again, folks.

Next project on the X is replacing the front brake pads. Should be a cakewalk compared with the strut job, but I'm sure I'll check in here to get some info. Thanks again, folks.
>>>>>>>>>>>

The front or rear brake pads are easy to remove and install, 2 bolts. Just make sure your old brake pad retaining clips are still in good condition. Also, make sure you pull out the "caliper slide pins" from their rubber boots and re-grease them before putting everything back together. Any questions on this repair, just ask.

Rondo could you pass by Bobs house and make sure he is okay. Make sure with his bad back an all he hasnt been stuck under his truck for a year now.

I'm fine and, with the help and guidance info provided by you guys, we got job done. Never would have happened if I'd never found this site. I thought I ended this thread by explaining this outcome but evidently didn't. So here's a huge thank you to all you folks for the invaluable assistance.

Glad to here Bob is well! :p:

Like Exproblems said, the front brakes are easy. I recommend getting the hardware kit when you purchase the rotors & pads. Make sure lube all points of movement and you should be good to go!

lol, didn't realized that this thread was a year ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

We have all done it before. Just some guys let you know a little nicer than others.
I actually cant wait for my breaks to wear out. i want to put the ebc kit on it. Dec issue of a popular four wheeler mag did a test on a 99 navigator the new set cut 44 feet 11 inches from 50 to 0. Thats awesome cosidering its just a pad and rotor upgrade.

lol, didn't realized that this thread was a year ago.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LMAO, your right it is! Lets hope Bob took his time doing the brake job or he just may need a new set of pads by now.

Back