Any weaknesses in 8.8 diff???

Hellbender

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Jeep TJ
Another 8.8 question from a Jeep guy..

Are there any inherent weaknesses or problem areas to watch for on the 8.8 diff. (97 model)??

Does the axle tube/pumpkin union seep fluid??

Brake problems?

Tubes spin in pumpkin?

Tubes bending w/ rough use?

Anything I can fix/improve before I install??

Thanks again for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I can tell ya is I haven't hear alot of problems......Though ya can always lock it...regear.....maybe a c-clip eliminator kit. I believe that would have to be done at a race shop, because I know of none available for the public to install. The axles are definately stong, and I forgot to say, although a Jeeper, welcome to the site! Sorry for any bias, but it is kinda Ford oriented...But I my self would love to see pics of the axle in the truck once it's done!
Pete

I know this isn't a diff comment, but....... Get the Warn full floater kit. 'How to make a great thing even better'.

Oh yeah, and get the 8.8 out of an Explorer, not a Mustang or Ranger. Explorers use the larger 31 spline axle shafts, the others may use the smaller 28 spline.

RangerX--I did not mention the Warn full floater kit because to the last of my knowledge, it was discontinued for the 8.8's. I have seen in mags and websites no more ads for the product.
Pete

Another member on this site, Troll, has a blown and stroked V8 explorer with close to 600HP at the crank and he still uses his 8.8" rear end. If you get into HUGE tires (greater than 35-36") it won't be as good as a Ford 9" obviously. If you're still worried about durability you can get an axle truss and/or the SVO axle girdle which replaces the diff cover. I havn't heard of any one on here who has broken a rear axle but anything is possible. You should be fine as long as you stay away from very large tries.

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I made a good choice!!

Yes, most certainly did! Also, I believe it has disc brakes, which will also add alot more braking power
Pete

Yes you made a great choice Hellbender! :D

Back