Anyone else have problems with their second row inflatable seat belts? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else have problems with their second row inflatable seat belts?

hey all, we have a 2015 XLT with approx 12K miles that just recently had an airbag light show up that the dealer determined was a faulty switch under one of the 2nd row seats...part wont be here until july sometime !!! sounds same fwiw...great forum too !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all, we have a 2015 XLT with approx 12K miles that just recently had an airbag light show up that the dealer determined was a faulty switch under one of the 2nd row seats...part wont be here until july sometime !!! sounds same fwiw...great forum too !!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Glad to see you are happy with the forum. Members are here to provide any assistance where they can. :thumbsup:

Peter

Although this doesn't seem to be your issue, be aware of it.

2014 Ford Explorer Air Bags Service Bulletin 388349

Action Number: 10058235
Service Bulletin Number: 388349

Report Date: Jul 23, 2015
Component: Air Bags

Summary: Ford explorer 2014-2016: bulletin information involving vehicles equipped with second row inflatable seat belts may exhibit an airbag warning light illuminated with dtc b141b and b141c.

Peter

Just sharing some information regarding the issue with the air bag light staying on on the drivers console. Our 2014 Ford explorer sport just had this happen. It was due to the wiring harnesses under the 2nd row bucket seats. The seats behind the drivers and passenger seats. The dealership said it would cost $800 to fix it with parts/labor/taxes. I called for customer service, they are escalating the issue. While waiting the Ford dealership called back and said it is covered under a Kansas safety restraint recall. I didn't know such a thing/program existed. I just wanted to let others know in case it happens to them, they may want to check to see if there are any state programs like that.

Just sharing some information regarding the issue with the air bag light staying on on the drivers console. Our 2014 Ford explorer sport just had this happen. It was due to the wiring harnesses under the 2nd row bucket seats. The seats behind the drivers and passenger seats. The dealership said it would cost $800 to fix it with parts/labor/taxes. I called for customer service, they are escalating the issue. While waiting the Ford dealership called back and said it is covered under a Kansas safety restraint recall. I didn't know such a thing/program existed. I just wanted to let others know in case it happens to them, they may want to check to see if there are any state programs like that.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that coverage would only apply if you live in Kansas.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm guessing that coverage would only apply if you live in Kansas.

Peter

I would assume so also, just making people aware, not sure if other states have similar programs. I couldn't find any reference to a KS one.

How many miles are on your Sport? Safety restraint system warranty is 5yrs/60k miles. I had an air bag light on my 14 Sport and it was covered under the Ford factory warranty since I was just below 60K(59k miles and change). I think it said something about the wiring in the 2nd row.

My ex sport has about 36,000 miles on it. I've owned it for 2 years since new. So far, we've had to replace both outbound inflatable belts due to them sticking and not being able to pill or extend them to put them on. To top things off, a black plastic cover broke off of the driver side belt and now that ones being replaced yet again. Part has been on order for over a week. I'm not impressed by these belts. The plastic cover seems incredibly cheap and poorly designed. Love th concept, not liking the execution. Hope they figure things out and improve the design.

I've never had a seat belt problem before in any car. I'm about to have my third seat belt replaced in my ex sport. Not good.
From:MamaDee. Yes, we have a 2015 Ford Explorer LX 60,000 miles, 2nd row passenger side belt gives a hard time extending to fit, it takes several retraction extension attempts to get it to buckle. Also within the second year owning the SUV that same belt buckle cover broke. The top of it came off making it more difficult to buckle as well. We use that seat as little as possible. But now with a grandchild seat needing to go there it is a real challenge. We have to give extra time to trip prep just for this problem. I don’t know if the seatbelt safety notice would do anything for this problem or not.

From:MamaDee. Yes, we have a 2015 Ford Explorer LX 60,000 miles, 2nd row passenger side belt gives a hard time extending to fit, it takes several retraction extension attempts to get it to buckle. Also within the second year owning the SUV that same belt buckle cover broke. The top of it came off making it more difficult to buckle as well. We use that seat as little as possible. But now with a grandchild seat needing to go there it is a real challenge. We have to give extra time to trip prep just for this problem. I don’t know if the seatbelt safety notice would do anything for this problem or not.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, there is no LX trim in the 5th gen Explorer. I think you meant XLT.

Peter

Back