• Register Today It's free!

Anyone replaced their own struts?

johng_22

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Wanted to know how difficult it is to replace front/rear struts from someone who's done it. I see that Monroe makes QuickStruts with the spring already installed on the kit. I consider myself pretty capable of doing most jobs on my own but I've only been able to find a couple references within the forums regarding struts. Folks have said it was difficult but gave no specifics on how to tackle the job and whether any special tools are required. If anyone that's already done this job could chime in I'd appreciate it. I'm on the fence whether to take it to a shop to have done or try myself. Best price I've found is $900 if I have the job done. I can do all 4 Monroe QuickStruts for $600 if I do the job myself.

Thanks to those on this forum who contributed info for Wheel Hub replacement. I was able to swap out all 4 yesterday in about 5.5 hours. It would have been a much longer job if not for the great write-ups!

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanted to know how difficult it is to replace front/rear struts from someone who's done it. I see that Monroe makes QuickStruts with the spring already installed on the kit. I consider myself pretty capable of doing most jobs on my own but I've only been able to find a couple references within the forums regarding struts. Folks have said it was difficult but gave no specifics on how to tackle the job and whether any special tools are required. If anyone that's already done this job could chime in I'd appreciate it. I'm on the fence whether to take it to a shop to have done or try myself. Best price I've found is $900 if I have the job done. I can do all 4 Monroe QuickStruts for $600 if I do the job myself.

Thanks to those on this forum who contributed info for Wheel Hub replacement. I was able to swap out all 4 yesterday in about 5.5 hours. It would have been a much longer job if not for the great write-ups!

Checking in with the same query, as I am planning on doing all four of mine in the next several months. I will also do ball joints and bushings as required while I'm in there. I'm thinking that if you were able to do all four wheel bearing/hub assemblies, you can handle doing struts.

As a side question, why did you do all four hub/bearing assemblies? Did you find them all four to be bad? I did both of my fronts when I was unable to isolate the problem to one side, turns out only one was shot, but I replaced both anyway.

Checking in with the same query, as I am planning on doing all four of mine in the next several months. I will also do ball joints and bushings as required while I'm in there. I'm thinking that if you were able to do all four wheel bearing/hub assemblies, you can handle doing struts.

As a side question, why did you do all four hub/bearing assemblies? Did you find them all four to be bad? I did both of my fronts when I was unable to isolate the problem to one side, turns out only one was shot, but I replaced both anyway.

Mine were starting to get loud. I had 1 front bearing that was REALLY bad. I can tell it's noticeably quieter at highway speeds now that all 4 hubs have been replaced. I chose to do all 4 now while I have the time rather than waiting for the inevitable to happen over time.

I replaced all my struts myself a few months ago. Wasn't too bad. My rear springs were busted so I had to get new ones. If you are going to spend the extra cash and buy assembled struts the job will be a breeze. Just jack it up, unbolt the old and bolt in the new and your done. The hardest part is compressing the springs. If I could have taken them to my buddys shop and used his wall mounted spring compressor it would have been easier.

Good Luck!

i'd vote for 4 Monroe QuickStruts for $600, the shock portion usually runs $80 each. Another way to look at it you get 'fresh' springs at least. Also to, i would assume the Shock/spring combo is 'adjusted' for each other, and if you have a broken one your good to go, although i never heard of it in a '04, yet.

So, there's no need to use a spring compressor if you're removing strut/spring assembly and replacing with a "Quick Strut" assembly right?

02 XLT 4.6L, Mobil 1, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Powder Coated Calipers, K&N Drop-in Air Filter

if you buy the springs and struts assembled you will not need a spring compressor.

And the current assemblies in the rear with the broken coil springs can also be removed as full assemblies without using a spring compressor too? Just wanna know what I'm gettin myself into 1st ! LOL

I just all four this evening. Really not a bad process at all after I learned that the key was removing the sway bar and upper control arm (toe attached to the knuckle). It was really easy after that...including the spring compressors. As long as your springs are in good shape and you have access to loaner program (got mine at Autozone), I wouldn't pay the additional money for the quick struts.

why did you remove the swaybar and the control arm?

My rear ones were busted too. If you buy the assemble you will not need the spring compressor. Pretty simple job really. Check out your rear camber afterwards, mine was off big time, had to get some parts from Ford to make the rear camber adjustable. I think the broken springs may have bent something!

Check out your rear camber afterwards, mine was off big time, had to get some parts from Ford to make the rear camber adjustable.

how much was that kit? What did it include? Kit per wheel? ie two washers right?
I need to get the same thing for mine, i bums me seeing the camber off, although its like 2-3degrees.

RR-

I was forced to remove the sway bar and upper control arm on the rear due to the type shock/piston I replace the old with (according to the Ford tech). I replaced the OEM with Sensa-tracs. Due to the increased "travel" in the piston, I could pry the lower enough to hook-up the lower bolt without removing such. Also, I couldn't remove the rear assembly without removing the sway bar.

Back