Anyone Running Toyo Open Country A/T's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Running Toyo Open Country A/T's?

BigBadStang

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield Twp. Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Toyo Open Country A/T's?

I'm just looking for some input before I buy.
I can get them(265/75/16) for $149.00 each intsalled with an alignment.
They looked like a pretty good tire, but we all know looks can be deceiving! ;)

Also, have any of you guys heard anything about "Big O" tires?
there is a new Big O store here in town, and they have a "Bigfoot A/T" or something like that, but man, they are pretty expensive...$159.00 ea
installed, plus another $70 for an alignment.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard good things about Toyo tires. So when my boss was shopping for tires I recommended the Toyo Open Country A/T Well he bought them and loves them. He has them on a 2000 Chevy 2500. He pulls a 28' travel trailer, he also has farm land 6 hours north and he has no problems. Reasonably quite, good road maners and good price.

I've heard good and bad about the Toyos... I was looking at them back in Dec. when I got new tires. A lot of reviews said that they were good, others said that they became louder and louder (road noise) as they wear, they become out of balance very easily, and develop funny wear because of this...

I ended up going with the Bridgestone Dueler Revo instead, awesome tire by the way...

More than likely you will be happy with the Toyo's I was just being nitpicky when I wanted new tires.

Thanks for the input guys.

My boss at work has Toyo M/T's and loves them. I had Toyo Proxses S/T's on my Lightning and they were great. Also know several running the Yokohama Geolander A/T's and really like them. Another guy at work had the Revo's and liked them except they were worn out real early on his chebie. Hope this helps some.

Try Tirerack.com. I just bought some Kumho rubber 2 days ago for $75 a pop everywhere else they were going for $100, Tire Rack has a good review section and good pricing.

About the Open Countrys: friend has them on an 05 Ranger, pretty solid tire. but of course like any all-terrain tire it will make a little bit more noise if you are ok with that.

The tire store I visited had those Kuhmo's, but it's hard enough for me to put a white letter tire on my Ford that says "Toyo"...let alone "Kuhmo". :D
I guess I am strange like that! ;)

Just make sure to put the white letters in and have all the black rubber facing out, nobody will ever know...;)

i have them and love them. had them in a good 3 feet of muck/mud and they pulled through like a champ-- i went in the hole expecting to get stuck for fun..... didn't get stuck but it was still fun :D

Thanks for all the input fellas! when i get them put on, and the truck cleaned up, i post a pic or two.

DSCN3157.sized.jpg

here are mine, 35x12.5x20 M/T's. Mine are more aggressive than the a/t's and mine are quiet. and tire wear is minimal so far not even really noticeable. i recommend them.

i have a 35 waiting to be mounted just lazy. my rack is actually different than that now, not really just added the 18 extension piece.:thumbsup:

Badstang:

Regarding BigO, i've have tires from them more than once and they were great. If I recall, there may be lifetime balance and rotation or something like that... And I had a sidewall pop on a curb and they charged me little or nothing to replace the tire.

DSCN3157.sized.jpg

here are mine, 35x12.5x20 M/T's. Mine are more aggressive than the a/t's and mine are quiet. and tire wear is minimal so far not even really noticeable. i recommend them.

^^ that would be a nice sport trac... if you took that stock spare tire off the rack :D

it is nice but 2wd :( wish 4wd could be like that o wait chad and john both have lifts almost that high

I'm running the Toyo Open Country ATs on my F250. I've had them for 3 years & ~40k miles. I have never had a problem with them going out of balance or getting louder as the wore. My back tires are wearing faster than the fronts, but that is from towing heavy and one to many burn outs. They're quiet at highway speeds and have decent traction on most everything I drive it on. Although I have almost gotten stuck in a muddy field or 2 with a 2000# trailer hooked up.

I guess I forgot to follow up on this!

Here is the picture I snapped after getting the Toyo A/T's on. 245/75/16's, Copperhead Fabrication 2" rear shackles, and torsion bars cranked up a little. The tires have been great so far, and they did a great job in the snow this year! In one snow storm, we had 10" of snow, and I was able to drive around in 2WD with ease. No way could I have done that with the old Michelins.

02SportTrac.jpg

Good ride, not as quiet as the Michelins, but not annoying at all, seems to handle just fine, and they handle predictably when towing the boat.

Back