Anyone Using a 'Bra' on the Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Using a 'Bra' on the Explorer

Not having any luck with the clearbra in central CA. Seems nobody here really wants to do an explorer except a couple places that want between $1000 and $1500 which is too much for this in my opinion.

Not having any luck with the clearbra in central CA. Seems nobody here really wants to do an explorer except a couple places that want between $1000 and $1500 which is too much for this in my opinion.

Well, it's not a cheap product by any means. However either is good paint work.

I say that price is pretty normal if you're getting the full front end wrapped in a quality product like Xpel Ultimate, etc. California is going to be more expensive as well.

I think I paid around $1000 - $1300 here in Florida for the front of the hood, front bumper, headlights / foglights, door handle cups, mirrors, and rear bumper / cargo entry area. The one thing I regret is not getting at least the A-Pillars done. Not even really sure why he didn't try to sell me on them. Also the leading edge of the roof would be a good idea as well.

The way I look at it is this. I like to keep my vehicles in good shape. A quality clear bra is going to last roughly 4-5 years depending on how much UV it's exposed to. After 4-5 years with no clear-bra protection, I can promise you the front end will be damaged by rock chips, etc. To fix it would require paint and not touch up at this point. The cost to have all of those areas painted would be much more. I'm a detailer by hobby so that gives you an idea of how I like to take care of my cars. If you're not this way than maybe it's not for you.

I've noticed the main parts that tend to chip on these are the entire front end o_O including the lights (use a clear film for those including fogs as mentioned) and also clear film roof from the top of the windshield to the factory body line about 6" back. Also make sure the leading edges of the fenders are protected. For some reason the paint on the front end tends to chip easily and replacing the headlights is going to cost about 1000$ each, I would think insurance might cover damage from flying debris, not sure.
Paint might chip easily because the paint is applied very thin and it has a water base? also has a very large front profile.

Since there’s a ‘bit of interest on what a “bra” would look like on our new Explorers, I decided to do a QUICK test fitting today of my new cover because it’s quite warm outside, (makes the fabric more pliable). I set the LeBra out in the sun for about thirty minutes and then proceeded to do the installation. Yup, the first time on is a learning experience, but subsequent applications will be much easier. One of the tricks to remember is that the loops sewn to the cover are only used to REMOVE the clips when taking the cover OFF. Follow the illustrated directions to the letter and you shouldn’t have a problem.
I have no intention of leaving the LeBra on the Ex permanently. It will only be affixed when we do our long treks, (like back and forth to SW Florida from Western Mass). Yes, I researched all the alternatives like the clear plastic sprays and the “saran wrap” overlays. Two of the advantages of the bra are that the new covers are made of breathable vinyl and they have a cushion effect on small pebbles that the other alternatives lack. This is the third front end bra I’ve had on my various vehicles and I have never had a problem with fading or scuffing because the fact that the bras are only used on a temporary basis and removed immediately after a long trip or after a rain. After this installation I took the Explorer out for a test run. Got the speed up to 75 mph. No flapping.
My next test will be to see if the automatic parking assist or the “BLIS” sensors are affected. The LeBra instructions say “the cover MAY interfere with the proper functioning”. No mention was made of the adaptive cruise control unit which is located behind the lower part of the front grill . I believe the bra is invisible to those radar waves. It’s those two small round left and right sensors that I’m not sure about. If there is a problem, all I have to do is carefully cut out the fabric over the sensors.
As far as the aesthetics are concerned, I personally don’t mind the appearance at all. It shows my Explorer is getting some TLC !

My Library

covidbra.jpg

Back