Anyone using a Thule Cargo Box on their new X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone using a Thule Cargo Box on their new X

sm4astan

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Patent, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Anyone out there using a Thule cargo box? We should be getting our X at the end of the month and want to pick up a cargo box for our upcoming trip down to NC for Spring Break. I'm thinking it's something we could maybe just leave on the X and use for extra storage as we move into outdoor club soccer season for our kids (i.e. baby stroller, jog stroller, camp chairs, umbrellas, etc.). With 4 kids, when we all head out somewhere all the seats are in use, and while the cargo space behind 3rd row isn't horrible, it's definitely not what we have with our Odyssey.

My one concern is sizing and fit. I think I'd like to get a medium to large box (15-16 cu ft) but then realized that if it's too long a box, it may extend back over where the antennae is and that would mean to leave it on for an extended period, I'd either have to remove the antennae or find a box that is large enough to meet our needs, but doesn't extend back so far.

So, anyone using a Thule (make and model?) that fits their new X that doesn't require removing the antennae?

Anyone leave it on for extended periods and just use it for extra storage?

I did see a Yakima Sky Box last week, which would have enough room, but could be too long. The smaller Yakimas I saw were all too narrow for our use, as they won't fit our jog stroller when folded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 16 cu. ft Thule box that stays on the vehicle for 1 - 2 months in Summer. I move the jumper cables, safety kit, 12v pump and bungee cords up top to reduce clutter. Beach stuff like towels, blanket and umbrella go up there too.

My Thule box sits as far back as possible on a Honda Pilot. When open, the rear door opens within 1/2" of the back of the box. That puts the front of the box just rearward of the top of the windshield. Since the Explorer is about a foot longer than my Pilot, I'm thinking I may be able to keep the box's leading edge in a similar orientation with the windshield and have room for the antenna in back.

I'd like to add a few questions if that's okay.
- If a box does interfere with the antenna, is the antenna flexible enough to bend to within about 3 inches of the roof top?
- Would it still work with a box over the top?
- Is this the only antenna in the vehicle?

We have a Yakima SkyBox. We need it for skis so it needs to be quite long.

I have a full yakima set up on my EX, dont have the cargo box, but i can comment on the amount of room. some things come into play,
What bars you plan to use,
Moonroof or not.

If you have the moonroof, and you use the ford crossbars, they have a spacer to keep the first bar behind where the sunroof pops up, about 16" from the front of the bars. If you dont, you can move it up.

If you use aftermarket bars, they will sit high enough that you do not have to worry about the sunroof lift.

There is a ton of roof space, so even with a very large box, i think you would be able to clear the antenna, its not very tall at all.

to answer jazny.

The antenna should be flexible enough to bend
It would still work with the box over top of it
It is the only antenna on the vehicle.

I just bought the Thule Ascent 1500 cargo box. It is 65 inches long.

What I didn't understand is why Ford Accessories only lists the three sizes.
They list the 54 inch, 65 inch and 91 inch model. But there is also the Ascent model that is 76 inch long.

Storage capacity between the models seems only to be differernt by one or two cubic feet so really depends on the shape you want.

The antenna at the back is big time in the way. Probably lose a foot length so any long box might look front heavy. Which is why I went with the shorter one.

I was also worried about the arced OEM crossbars but cargo box moulds to them not too bad.

Pic3.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Wow...why is my X sitting in your drive? That's the same color Ltd I'm getting :)

This is perfect. It gives me exactly what I was looking for - some perspective on the X with how it fits. Looks like you are just in front of the antennae, so anything larger, as you say would either sit more forward or cover the antennae.

However, your first pic looks like the box is all the way back on the rack, and it appears there might be a foot or so at the front that could be used and still have the box appear balanced? The later photos you have look like the box is more centered. Did you adjust it between taking pics?

Also, did you get hat from dealer or on your own?

Last night after looking, I was thinking the Ascent 1600 might be the best option, but it is 75" long so would extend further more than yours. Though...1 cu ft isn't going to make a ton of difference in the long run.

Thanks for posting these!

I have the Yakima Low-pro 15 box on my current 2007 Ex and plan on putting it on my 2011 Limited (when it gets here).

Looks like a lot of the questions were answered above. I would add that the mounts on the boxes are movable in tracks located in the box. So not only can you move the cross bars on the truck, you can adjust the box forward of the mounts as well. I don't know if you would want to get it too far out over the windshield as it will catch more air and kill mileage plus not be as strong.

Like I said, we have the low pro 15 and it holds a ton without being too much of a bulge on the top of the truck. It is 15 cu/ft I think and has a solar panel that charges a battery for a little LED light for night loading/unloading. Opens from both sides, locks, etc. We use it for road trips, ski trips, and beach trips. Easily holds 6 pairs of skis/board with boots, and room for other stuff. Has a cargo net in it. Holds 6 bags chairs, beach umbrellas, etc.

Links:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/skybox-series/skybox-lopro

I got this from the dealership. But I am assuming it is same Ascent model you get anywhere that carries them. The Thule logos were just cheap puffy stickers. One was half bent off so I just ripped them all off.

Pics are all from same mount position. Camera angles just make it look a bit different.

With the cargo box at pictured location, there is approximetly 18 inches from the front of the cargo box to the front of the roof (Point where angle down starts.) Although technically the windshield is another 7 inches where the glass starts. I would say it would technically start hanging over 18 inches from the front of the cargo box pictured.

With the X hopefully arriving next week, I went ahead and ordered the Thule Atlantis 1600 box.

My question now, for those with any box, how do you monitor/manage your cargo weight?

The X roof is only good for 100 lbs (the box 110 lbs) and the box weighs 40 lbs. So that leaves no more than 60 lbs of cargo (70 if you wanted to stretch he roof limit).

Are you all ****/worried enough to weigh what you put in it? Do you just guess? Do you worry about how much you put in it?

I'm just curious so I know what is normal for dealing with one of these boxes.

I manage it by cramming as much as I possible can into the thing :p:

Usually I volume the thing out long before I would weight it out. That is, usually bag chairs, sand buckets for beach, skis in the winter, hiking boots, etc. Not a lot of height in my lo pro so I don't really get suitcases in there. If I was going to start loading bricks in there, that is a different story.

I would just watch the cross bars. They will flatten out with not much pressure, but you don't want them to get too flat or worse.

What are you going to put in yours? If your really worried about it, you can get one of those hanging luggage scales they sell, put it in your garage, weigh the items in the pile as or before they go into the box, add the weight of the box and then you know! I don't think it is the end of the world if you blow the limit by 50lbs and run it to 150 or 100lbs of stuff plus the weight of the box (which you said was 40lbs)

Since I don't have my X, I'm not sure how I'll arrange things.

For a few longer trips we've got coming up, I think I'll be putting Bob Jog stroller, camp chairs, umbrellas, blankets, and a either port-a-crib and/or duffle bags of clothes.

Because we're constantly travelling for club soccer, once Spring ball starts, I'm thinking of leaving the box on the roof and just keeping the same stroller, camp chairs, blankets, etc. in there for the multiple trainings and games we have throughout the week.

I don't think the weight will be all that great, but I wasn't sure how worried to be about it.

It is perfect for the portable crib. Those things just don't seem to pack well inside, they are kinda long when folded up.

One thing I would caution is heat/cold. Last winter on a ski trip we put the inflatable toddler bed up there and it was about 10 degrees out for the 3 hour ride. When we got to our rental, we quick ran inside and without thinking wanted to get the kids in bed and opened up the bed to inflate real quick while it was cold. When we did it, a bunch of stress cracks formed and the normally good mattress leaked bad and we had to replace.

It is common sense, but can get lost in the "fog of packing" to go somewhere. Make sure nothing electronic or media (DVDs, components, etc) is going in there if it is really hot/cold or wet (they are pretty dry, but not water tight, I have had a blizzard blow snow through the seams). Also if you have pool toys, air mattresses, etc, let them normalize their temp when you take them out before unfolding or inflating,etc.

Thought I would dig up this thread and let everyone know that REI is having their clearance sale on right now. They have a pretty good assortment of Yakima and Thule boxes on sale for those getting ready for holiday travel/ski season/etc.

Make sure you ship to an REI store to get free shipping since these things are so big to ship.

http://www.rei.com/category/4500010/q/Sale+and+Clearance

Went with Thule

After searching around for a roof cargo box I took the plunge on a Thule 604 Ascent 1600. I have the factory cross rails and this box works great. It is 75 inches long and fits the roof of the X perfectly without obstructing the antenna or extending out over the roof. It fits our skis perfect which will be its primary use. We may also use it for extra storage for luggage on long trips or trips where we need the 3rd row for passengers. The cargo box is tool less which was my main requirement. I will only be dropping the box on the roof when needed and dont want to be fussing around with tools and scratching my roof every time I remove it. The tool less option is great, just drop the box on the rails and turn 4 dials that claw grab the cross rails and done. If anyone is searching for a roof box I would recommend Thule 604 Ascent 1600:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Cargo-Carriers/Boxes/604-Ascent-1600

We have a Thule box from our old XC-90 and were worried about the same thing (antenna in the way), so we're gonig with this:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312983

"This new shark fin antenna was developed specifically for vehicles that have an AM/FM rear-roof whip antenna and a Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antenna integrated into the larger antenna base. Our Mark II antenna will allow you to replace the whip portion of your AM/FM antenna and cover the entire large antenna base on your roof to give it a clean look. Installing this antenna will not hinder the operation of your Sirius/XM/OnStar/GPS chip-set antennas that are integrated into your antenna base. Please click the following links for some sample pictures of our new shark fin antenna:

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_VG_SFA_MKII.html

We are happy to announce that we can continue to offer our Mark II version at the same price as our Mark I version, currently priced at $69USD (including painting to your OEM color as usual), plus shipping/handling for $12USD to USA/Canada or $28USD to International locations (including tracking number & insurance). GST & HST applicable for Canadian orders. Lead time is around 1 to 2 weeks before ready for shipping.

To place an order, please send an email to prerelease@visualgarage.com and provide the information below, and a Paypal invoice for ordering will be sent to you shortly afterwards . You will be able to pay via Paypal account, eCheck and most major credit cards. To find your color code, please visit this page: http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Paint_Code.html

----------

Subject: Order - VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II

Qty x Year, Make, Model, Style - Color Code / Color Name

(example: Qty: 1 x 2009 Pontiac G8 4-Dr Sedan - WA690F / Phantom Metallic)

Mailing Address

Paypal email Address"

I just bought the Thule Atlantis 1600 cargo box. (HumblePower ~$470)

The Atlantis 1600 has room to spare, the Atlantis 1800 would also clear the antenna.

The antenna is not optimally placed for a vehicle that has a work vehicle history.

Here is my Thule 2100 on my EX XLT, I have snugged up to the rear antenna

explorer2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back