• Register Today It's free!

Anything new on the Edge?

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Anything new on the Ford Edge? It looks interesting, but is it still coming out in model year 2007? As my 92 Ex ages, is it worth waiting for, I wonder?

What is it really? A hatchback version of the Fusion? A replacement for the Escape? A replacement for the Explorer? Or....something in between?

I like the idea of the new 3.5L V6 with the 6-speed transmission, but I'm not sure I like the body style.

I wonder if Ford will keep a vehicle like the Explorer in the lineup or will they go 100% to crossover vehicles.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will probably keep the name but then again with the backlash of the firestone tire issue and falling sales, they may go to a more fuel effecient version. Ford reported a $123 million loss and closed the Hazelwood, Missouri plant where Ford Explorers/Mercury Mountaineers were built.

No firm date has been given for them to roll out onto dealer lots, but the rumor is they should be available some time in October. You can already order them from Sam's club and possibly other sources.

I don't believe that Ford should scrap the Explorer however they do need to do something about its mpg rating. Perhaps offering a V-8 and a hybrid version. Those who want to use there Explorer for towing can opt for the V-8 and those opting to use the vehicle mainly for people hauling can opt for a hybrid version. The Explorer continues to be a very popular SUV however something must be done to keep it alive.

Toyota plans to offer hybrid versions of there most popular vehicles. It will not be good for Ford if they still offer only one hybrid (escape) and Toyota rolls out hybrid SUV's and more hybrid cars.

Toyota claims that they license their hybrid technology to Ford. If that's all Ford has, then maybe they are only allowed to use it in certain vehicles. I saw this is an advertising magazine for Toyota (I have a Toyota van), so I don't know the whole story behind it, but might explain some things.

I dont see them taking the Explorer back to its roots .... ever.

It is true that Toyota Licenses there hybrid technology to Ford. The technology was originally not Toyotas either, they bought the company that designed the system. Ford did have there own design available after the aquisition of Volvo, however it was more complicated and cost more so they opted to use Toyota's. I doubt they have limitations on how they use it, and if they do they need to get to work on there own design.

If you want an offroad vehicle that wears the Ford badge your best bet it the Ranger FX4 Level II. It would make no sense financially to offer the Explorer or another SUV designed for heavy off road use. Although it may seem like a lot of people would be interested in it (this site particularly), sales would not cover the cost and design of offering heavy duty and off road components.

All good comments. I'm in complete agreement. Yes, the Edge does not look like a truck. Some of the crossovers look OK to me, like the BMW X3, but cars like the Nissan Murano look ugly to me. (I won't even mention the Subaru Tribeca).

I'd really like to see the Explorer continue, but it has to get better gas mileage to survive. I think the new 3.5L V6 with the hybrid electric motor and the 6-speed auto trans would work fine, except for towing, of course.

As for off-road, its such a small segment of the market, I don't think Ford will bother except for the Ranger and F-150. Ford wants to concentrate on crossovers.

Even though most of us don't go off road, its nice to know we could. I've used low range 4X4 in deep snow and on slippery hills... try doing that in a crossover car.

As for styling, (IMHO, don't flame me) the current SUV's from all manufacturers look distinctly un-manly. That's why I'm still nursing my old 1992 Ex.

Bob

Bwana Bob said:
All good comments. I'm in complete agreement. Yes, the Edge does not look like a truck. Some of the crossovers look OK to me, like the BMW X3, but cars like the Nissan Murano look ugly to me. (I won't even mention the Subaru Tribeca).

I'd really like to see the Explorer continue, but it has to get better gas mileage to survive. I think the new 3.5L V6 with the hybrid electric motor and the 6-speed auto trans would work fine, except for towing, of course.

As for off-road, its such a small segment of the market, I don't think Ford will bother except for the Ranger and F-150. Ford wants to concentrate on crossovers.

Even though most of us don't go off road, its nice to know we could. I've used low range 4X4 in deep snow and on slippery hills... try doing that in a crossover car.

As for styling, (IMHO, don't flame me) the current SUV's from all manufacturers look distinctly un-manly. That's why I'm still nursing my old 1992 Ex.

Bob

Definitely Agree with you there, everyone is trying to move to more curvacious body styles. I guess the plan there is to attract women and families. Though the new Explorers still look pretty cool and masculine compared to the competition, the midsize SUVs aren't that feminine looking. The smaller ones all look like theyre built for women though (Highlander, RAV4, CRV..etc), the Escape is the most masculine of the bunch, although the old style was much better imho.

I would love to have a Hybrid Explorer, my 96 was just costing me too much on gas, and I ended up having to move to the dark side since I couldn't afford the payments on a Hybrid Escape, and I found a good deal on an Accord lease that will last me through college and beyond.

I saw an Edge review on the Family Car web site. They liked it. I haven't seen any, yet. I thought it was coming out in October.

Bob

I just read chevy is coming out with a dual hybrid tahoe.it will work like a normal hybrid on the freeway and long drives but can also be plugged in overnite so in town you can use only the electric motor , no gas at all.it will still have the v8 for towing and use no gas during the weekly commute(in town of course) ford needs to come up with something like that for the explorer to stay compettitive

I sat in a new Edge at a boat show the other day. It seemed comfortable, and probably drives well since it's on a Mazda platform.

Unfortunately, Ford had surpassed GM in the crap interior quality dept. Everything but the seats, floor and headliner is cheap looking plastic. Sadly, this seems to be a trend with new Fords lately, while GM's interiors are improving.

My vote: :thumbdwn:

I saw one on a dealer's lot but didn't get to sit inside. From the outside it looks pretty aggressive and more "macho" than the Freestyle. Its pretty big, too; bigger than an Escape anyway. Looks like a hatchback Fusion on steroids. Rated fuel economy is so-so 17/24, not that much better than my old Explorer which is 17/21.

Don't know if it will win my heart, but Ford should sell a lot of these because the styling is comparable to CUV's like the BMW X3, etc.

Bob

Back