April orders filling faster or good allocation? 17 days order to window sticker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

April orders filling faster or good allocation? 17 days order to window sticker

Rocketfan

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
I ordered on 4/12, got VIN from Seni 4/18 (thanks Seni) and have been checking for a window sticker every day since. Today (4/29) I got a window sticker? Has Ford started clearing the backlog so we can expect more normal order fill times going forward or did I get lucky with my dealer (i.e. good allocation). How are others with April orders faring?

If it turns out to be dealer allocation, based on my experience so far I would recommend Ken Grody Ford if you are in Southern California (I picked them because they were fairly large and had 1% lower sales tax than LA County). So far, they have been been great (took my X-Plan order with mostly email communication, responded promptly to email inquiries so I could get enough info to give to Seni to track progress myself, and progress as noted above has been good, 17 days from order to window sticker). Love this site as it has enabled me to completely obsess about my new Ex without being too much of a pest to my dealer or family.

One thing I was wondering about was how to find the build date. I understand from posts here that it can be found on the window sticker. I am probably being stupid but in examining the window sticker, I can't find a "build date" anywhere. The date at the bottom of the sticker is today's date 4/29 so I assume that is not it because the build date is supposed to be the week after the date the sticker is available (right?).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Order date of 4/4....no VIN yet.

Build date is at bottom right hand corner. Will look like:

12011XXYYZZZZ: 2011 is the year, X is month and Y is day. No idea what the last four numbers are for.

So that is what the string of 13 numbers is at the bottom right hand corner. Thanks Gandalf. 5/4 build date. Assuming no problems with the build and I will join the list of people waiting for transit and delivery. Thanks again

Allocation.

Ordered 3/30 no window sticker but scheduled to week 5/9. Should have window sticker next week.

Orderd 4/11 and no VIN yet. Hoping for next week for the VIN.

Ordered 4/6 still no vin either.:(

Ordered 3/28, VIN, but no word on a build date yet - my last status was a little over a week ago, so its possible that it's been scheduled. I pm'd Seni for an update on Friday, so I should hear early next week. (no window sticker).

I do believe that some people get lucky. I had heard that if a dealership has a car on order that matches a new customer order, that the customer gets that order. So what might have happened is that some dealership had put in for your particular X awhile ago and you just happened to match that order. The dealer got bumped, and you got that car.... Not sure if that is true or not - just a rumour that I heard that kinda makes sense. The ford order process is a mystery to most.

-J

April orders may not be filling faster (though I hope so since I ordered on 4/27). Is it possible that there was already an Ex in the system for dealer allocation that met your specs? That's kind of what I'm hoping for, but we'll see.

I could be wrong but I don't believe that my dealer had a car like mine on order already because my dealer told me he would have to place a new order after I told him what I wanted (and I saw my order sheet to confirm that is what I wanted before they placed the order). I ordered an AWD LTD, 301a, 2d row console, 2d row bucket seats and NO moonroof. The no moonroof plus 2d row console and 2d row buckets on a LTD is not a common stock order as I have never seen one like this locally or even on Ford's inventory checker on its website.

I thought that the backlog/ issues had been cleared and orders were being filled more quickly but it appears from what I have been reading recently that dealer allocation is still a crucial factor. I guess I got lucky on the build part. Hopefully my luck will not change on the delivery side.

I could be wrong but I don't believe that my dealer had a car like mine on order already because my dealer told me he would have to place a new order after I told him what I wanted (and I saw my order sheet to confirm that is what I wanted before they placed the order). I ordered an AWD LTD, 301a, 2d row console, 2d row bucket seats and NO moonroof. The no moonroof plus 2d row console and 2d row buckets on a LTD is not a common stock order as I have never seen one like this locally or even on Ford's inventory checker on its website.

I thought that the backlog/ issues had been cleared and orders were being filled more quickly but it appears from what I have been reading recently that dealer allocation is still a crucial factor. I guess I got lucky on the build part. Hopefully my luck will not change on the delivery side.

Who knows? This ordering business seems to be a bit like dropping your money in a black box and waiting patiently for a car to come out. :)

Ford really needs to get into the 20th century and have a tracking website.

My understanding is that it wasn't necessarily that YOUR dealer had one on order like it, but that ANY dealer with an order like it was bumped for your order. Just a rumor I heard though, so take it for what it is worth.

Me, I'm hoping that I will hear from the Oracle of Ford (Seni) soon letting me know that I have a build date. (crossingmyfingers)
-J

Back