• Register Today It's free!

Apten chip programs

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
A custom chip is likely in my future, probably from Apten. They have three programs: single, single w/ factory setting, and dual with factory setting. I like the idea of the factory switch, but am curious about how much of an "improvement" over factory the 87 octane setting on the chip would have over 87 octane and no chip. Let's say the performance was a "10" (highest) for the 91 octane switch and a 1 with no chip... where would the level fall with the chip set at the 87 mode? 6-7?

Hopefully that made sense :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have one but....

I know that it is almost nothing. A slight improvement? Possibly. A difference that you can feel? Probably not. In the "6-7" range? Hell no!

The stock ECU is already pretty tweaked out for a stock Explorer to run on 87 octane gasoline. The same goes for most other cars.

The higher octane (91 or 94) is where you get the increase in power and efficiency. The stock ECU is not programed to run on high octane gasoline, and that's why you get an increase in horsepower and torque. The chip re- maps the timing/spark curve to the high octane fuel. Since the engine is running more efficiently, a gain in fuel economy is also acheived (driving habits pending, especially post-chip driving habits).

Hope this helps.

I know that it is almost nothing. A slight improvement? Possibly. A difference that you can feel? Probably not. In the "6-7" range? Hell no!

On many exporers, the stock ECU is programmed to run at 11:1 at WOT. The spark tables are close from the factory, but not perfect. There are some gains, although not huge.

racing fuel

What about racing fuel? Suppose I get a dual program chip. One for 92 octane and the other for 100 or 104 octane. Would there be much of a difference? Waste of money? Damage some components?

So what are you guys saying that the apten chip is a waste of money if your going to run 87 and that there isn't that much improvment at 91?

there's plenty of improvment at 91, that's what the chip is normally programmed for. There is a gain at 87, but it's just not nearly as much as a 91-93 burn.

Brian

Brian I take it your from Apten right? If so do you have numbers to show me on the gains at 87 and 91 and would other mods help like intake and exhaust?

there's a dyno chart floating around that shows the gains from a 91 program. I think it was like 21RWHP on a 4.0L SOHC motor.

I haven't put one on the dyno recently that was programmed for 87 octane, but I can tell you from the spark curves that it should be worth about half of the gains that the 91 octane program gives.

A intake kit would be helpful, and some exhaust kits also improve HP. Beyond that you can go for an electric fan, headers, and other small bolt-ons.

Brian

And those numbers would be the same for the 5.0 right and if anybody can show me this chart I would apperciate it

Back