• Register Today It's free!

Apten chip Q's

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I am going to be getting an apten chip in the next few days. I decided I wanted the dual program chip with factory settings as well and the swtich. I though tI would ge the 93 octane performance setting, 87 performance setting and the stock setting. Firmer tranny shifts, the works, etc. However, does the 87 'performance setting' just optimize the explorer for mileage? What is the best route to go, 93 perfermance setting, 87 performance and stock? OR 93 perf. setting, 87 economy mileage setting with tranny shifts still and stock?

Looking for input on what the best thing to do for the 87 performance program is, or if there is any differences there at all! Thanks! (Looking forward to getting it!) :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I like the setup I have. 93 octane performance, 89 octane performance, and stock. That way I can run all three grade. But I sure do love the performance program.

I have the 93 performance setting and a stock setting. I really like the chip and have yet to switch back to stock setting since I installed it. :D Guess I coulda gone with just 93 but its nice to know I can change.

Change

Yeah, I am getting the chip with the three programs so I can change. I was jsut wondering what the best "middle grade" program would be or if there is even an option between an 87 performance program or an 87 fuel efficient program and what the best one would be to copliment my 93 performance and stock setting.

There is an 87 performance and stock....not sure if there is one for 89. Matt(Black Magic) may know or you can email Brian.

bjherron@apten-us.com

There is, I got it.

Oh, didn't see that in your post earlier. Is there a noticeable difference in those programs?

You can feel a little more kick in the 93 program, but the 89 program is head and shoulders above the stock setting. Then again, I've never actually filled up with 89 to try it, just switched while running 93... I just like 93 too much

I hear ya Nate. Once you go 93 its hard to go back:D

I saw your PS about the name when I went to reply but it doesn't seem to show up on the board. I was just implicating Matt in this cause he seemed to be the guinea pig. My name is Sam for the record:chug:

I personally don't see much of a need for 87 or 89 settings. Of course gas isn't nearly as expensive down here as it is other places...

That being said, constantly switching the grades of gas in your tank and switching the chip back and forth may lead to engine damage. Not due to the chip, but due to either running the tank almost dry or running the motor on a different octane than the computer program.

Running the tank dry can damage the fuel filter, pump, and other fuel system components.

Running the motor on a 93 program with 87 or 89 gas can damage the motor and exhaust system.

Running the motor on a 87 or 89 program with 93 gas can damage the fuel injectors, valves, and exhaust system.

Just my 2 cents.

You mean 3 cents

Funny

I think this thread is good, but no one has answered my question yet. Not a big deal, but pretty funny. I was jsut wondering if I should have one of my programs on the chip as the 87 fuel economy (efficient) mode or performance 87 mode or would it be hte same no matter what?

I guess I'll send Brian what I want and trust his prior good work to send me something fun...;)

Just do a stock, 93 performance setting, and a 93 nitrous setting a run a 75 shot NX wet kit. That's my plan :D

Jester... I run 93 performance, 87 performance, and 87 stock on my 3-position switch I have on the dash.

I find myself running 93 performance almost all the time, because it's so nice. :cool:

I have run 87 stock on occasion, like when I am out in the woods and all of the gas stations only have 87 octane.

I have avoided running 87 performance program because that setting is causing my truck to ping. I suspect the program is a little over-timed for my truck, and I may have to have it reprogrammed. 87 performance on a 1st gen is just adjusting the timing, whereas on your 2nd gen it would adjust more parameters (this is my basic understanding of it from Brian Herron at Apten) so 87 performance would be more effective on your 1997 truck.

Back