Are Mercury's days numbered? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Mercury's days numbered?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that has been an ongoing discussion forever, but I could see Ford killing off Mercury soon, they have so much momentum with the Ford brands right now, it's good time to do it. I agree with the assesment, most Mercury buyers consider the Ford brand, but buy Mercs for the slightly different styling. But, I think they would buy the Ford if the Merc wasn't available before they buy a competing brand. I don't think many people would even notice.

Who knows? Ford (Mulally) isn't saying definitively one way or the other, but the news (including our local ABC affiliate) are reporting it like it's a done deal.

I personally think there's no reason to keep Mercury if the brand doesn't have anything to seriously distinguish it from Ford. I always liked the idea of bringing Euro models like the Mondeo over as Mercury vehicles, but now Ford is exerting more European influence such as with the Fiesta, and the Fusion has some of the Mondeo's flair. It's the same problem GM had as they decided to ax Olds and Pontiac (though I thought Pontiac should stay and Buick should go).

I think it was a wise decision... Keep focusing on brands that are very different, and cater to your strengths- Merc was not a strength for a number of years.

I completely trust Mullaly's business acumen, as Ford moves forward and continues to grow market share with better vehicles as each model updates and/or is introduced.

the news channel here said they were fasing it out. i guess thats cool. id rather have a lincoln anyways. or a regular ford

So now I got a "collectors item".
Must be Ford ran out of "lock washers".

I'm so angry about Ford killing Mercury. My last two cars were Mercury vehicles, a 2004 Sable wagon and a 2008 Mountaineer. Yes, I looked at the Fords, but I got both Mercury vehicles for about the same or lesser price and they had more upgrades and a more sophisticated styling, in my humble opinion.

Yes, the Ford's are nice. But they are designed for a younger crowd. At 50+, I would look stupid driving an Iron Man Explorer. And my wife thought the Sable had more class than the Taurus, which it does. I also think Lincolns are too expensive for what you get. For me, Mercury was right where it needed to be, targeting the more mature buyer, who doesn't have money to blow on Lincolns.

Mark my words, Ford will rue the day they made this decision. GM lost moocho buyers to other brands when they killed Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Just like Chrysler did when they killed Plymouth. They didn’t go to Chevy or Dodge.

The only problem Mercury had was not enough marketing/advertising and product differentiation. The latter could have been solved with a little more attention from management. All for a mere pittance.

Even with all those negatives, Mercury outsold Lincoln last year. I don't profess to be a Harvard Business School graduate, but I can recognize a "New Coke" moment when I see one.

RIP Mercury.

Chris

imho-i would say product differentiation was the biggest issue. You could buy a Ford and option it out to the point that it was a Merc. Styling wise, the Merc seemed to have more bling on it. . . not a bad looking truck through.

the way Mercury 'could' have been save is reduction of the duplication between Ford and Merc similar to Merc and Lincoln. In other words, strip the Ford and if you wanted leather seats power windows or dual climate you need to look at a Mounty, .
Ford Ex - Rubber floors, no power windows/locks etc, just the basics only should reduce the overall costs.

Just think if you could get a basic Ford Explorer new for less than $20k and if you wanted some luxury the Merc ran $30k; while the Lincoln of course had the Nav radio, heated/cooled seats wood trim, limo ride etc, $40k. Price breaks are just a guess, just an idea. . .but what do i know.

The first truck i bought was a heep xj, for $20k (my price point after getting marred). I got 4wd./242 the I6 and nothing else. Ran it into the ground 130k mi, 10years of of it, and then sold it. . .everything worked.

Here's the important question! Are they going to can Jill Wagner or is she now going to be a spokeswoman for Lincoln or Ford? :D

WoW the non incredible 2001 what were they thinking Cougar will be as collectible as an Isuzu Axiom. Better scarf one up now while the value explodes thru the roof. Always looked at the Merc as a blinged out in a bad way overpriced Ford. They could have sold a new Mercury Fiesta with a plastichrome grille, now they never will. No comment on Lincoln, the new Navigator grille looks like a chrome fence-it is absolutely hideous. The Lincoln Taurus version looks like a Taurus with cheesy plastic chrome. Then look at the Mercury Marauder-in my opinion stellar looks and absolutely no marketing. Not sure if this will be a bad thing for Ford or not. As a stockholder hopefully not. And I agree with earlier post about GM, should have dumped Buick and kept Pontiac.

Ultimately, I think Joe D is right. And I do like the way Ford is heading. Something about nostalgia as well, seeing another brand sail away is sad even if needed.

So farewell 2001 Cougar, you leave a legacy of bad design, poor performance, and overpriced value...

Back