Are these 2 repairs related? Please help. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are these 2 repairs related? Please help.

Here's the response I got from the general manager just a min ago....

Dan,

I have attached Ford's recommendations on analysis of leakage of the PTU for you to review. The Intermediate Shaft Seal prevents transmission oil from leaking, not gear oil that is found in the PTU. The shaft goes from the transmission, through the PTU and connects to the axle. The axle and wheel hub were seized together, the wheel hub is the part that has your brake rotor attached and wheel attached to it, it's not part of the PTU. From what I have found, the PTU issue that the truck currently has, is not related to the repair we did back in February. Unfortunately, there was no way for our technician to know that the PTU would fail.

Planet Ford and Ford of Canada are providing assistants to bring the total cost down on this repair from $2180.42 to $872.17 plus taxes.

Please review the attached information and let me know what I can do to help. Ford of Canada and Planet Ford will not cover the entire cost of the repair.

Let me know how you think I should proceed now. I already have my response written out but I wanna see some opinions.

Btw the general manager himself used the highlighter.
share_pdf_exportpage1~2.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might as well just pay it. A lawyer would eat up a 1,000 before showing up to court. Unless you forgo the lawyer and go to small claims court, I’d probably just eat it.

Might as well just pay it. A lawyer would eat up a 1,000 before showing up to court. Unless you forgo the lawyer and go to small claims court, I’d probably just eat it.
I'd have no problem representing myself.

But it's not about that.

This should be covered.

Here's what I'm responding with ...

Eric,

Thanks for showing us all so now you can agree the seal onnnnn the PTU WAS REPLACED. Correct

Do you remember I told you I called back a few days later with same problem is still happening?

That clearly shows and proves the problem I brought it in for WAS NOT REPAIRED( Again, not my problem.) Also you jus acknowledged the PTU had a leak. You pay mechanics. I'm not a mechanic but I was very clear when I stated the issue happening.

Either way the PTU had a leak. Fluid leaked/drained out. Whatever this mechanic did didn't fix anything at all except new axle and hub. Which needed to be replaced because of "damage caused"

Help me understand why would this mechanic not refill it with oil??? Hell why didn't he even bother to check?!?

AGAIN... negligence by mechanic... Which you have just confirmed and helped prove my claim correct.

Still looks all the fingers pointer at you guys.

I'd have no problem representing myself.

But it's not about that.

This should be covered.
You’re the one who mentioned multiple lawyers. You’re technically out of warranty.

You’re not going to have the easiest time, especially since you insisted it was the frozen hub that caused it. Fords stance is going to be that it had no reason to just patch you up and get you out of warranty. Had the PTU been warrantied they’d have gotten paid to replace it. It’s not like a small buy here pay here that would be out of pocket.

Yes technically I am. BUT still only 4193km since their last repair.

That last repair didn't "fix" anything because I called in complaining issue not repaired.

The general manager just confirmed they replaced the seal. Well still an issue so no it wasn't fixed.

That's why it should be covered under last warranty claim

If I'm reading it right, the dealer replaced the intermediate shaft seal because, according to their document, it must have been leaking transmission fluid.

If it was leaking PTU fluid, they would have replaced the cover seal.

I don't know all the details so still don't know if they had to drain the PTU to replace that intermediate seal.

Anyone know of the PTU needs to be drained to replace the intermediate shaft seal?

Yes technically I am. BUT still only 4193km since their last repair.

That last repair didn't "fix" anything because I called in complaining issue not repaired.

The general manager just confirmed they replaced the seal. Well still an issue so no it wasn't fixed.

That's why it should be covered under last warranty claim
I'm just curious as to why you were unable to schedule a follow-up appointment during 4193 km that was convenient to both of you?

Peter

Well I do a lot of highway driving for the business I run. So 4,193 km doesn't take long.

So now I'm getting the runaround from the general manager because I'm relying on his word and he showed me the procedure that Ford gives for the removal installation for the drive shaft seal removal installation so what he's done is he's showed me a front wheel drive removal installation and he gave me pages 2-7 but didn't include page 1

Is there any way I can find the correct removal installation for all wheel drive power transfer unit seal replacement that Ford techs use?

While we were going back and forth on the phone yesterday afternoon I kept to bring up the fox that the mechanic didn't note on the invoice drain or refill oil in the PTU. He told me that the shaft goes right through the PTU and wouldn't have had to drain the PTU. So I said if that's the case show me the procedure that the Ford technicians use for the job they did the last time I was there and what and that will prove whether or not the mechanic missed a step or not. So what does he do he sends me the wrong procedure for a FWD and he's missing the first page. To me I'm assuming on the first page shows drain the oil from the PTU and he knows I got them and that's why he showed me incorrect nformation thinking I wouldnt notice.

I wait to see what his response is and if he sends me the right info but I don't want him to give me some bullshit stories so if I have the information in front of me I'll just send that information along with the email that I'm about to reply with.

Politely/firmly tell him the procedure is for FWD model and you'd like to see the one for AWD.

Politely/firmly tell him the procedure is for FWD model and you'd like to see the one for AWD.
I did. Hell either reply in a few hours or callbme shortly.

I patiently wait on the edge of my seat......

If the PTU was empty it wouldn’t have lasted a hundred miles, especially on the highway.

If the PTU was empty it wouldn’t have lasted a hundred miles, especially on the highway.
Well it may have been draining because I still smelled fluid burning when I got it back.

Corporate just called and are now willing to cover 80%. She is gonna contact the dealership to see what they are willing to chip in.
I'm betting the general manager will say screw it and cover the remaining $436.

Off to a great start this morning.

Any where I could find the procedure I mentioned earlier? I've searched and found nothing what I'm looking for.

Edit** since I got it back I've done 0 highway runs

Well it may have been draining because I still smelled fluid burning when I got it back.

Corporate just called and are now willing to cover 80%. She is gonna contact the dealership to see what they are willing to chip in.
I'm betting the general manager will say screw it and cover the remaining $436.

Off to a great start this morning.

Any where I could find the procedure I mentioned earlier? I've searched and found nothing what I'm looking for.

Edit** since I got it back I've done 0 highway runs
The same still applies to 4K city miles, even though a few posts up you said the highway mileage you do added up that 4K fast…

If you smelled burning fluid you probably really should have taken it back for a recheck. I’d jump at that 80%.

The same still applies to 4K city miles, even though a few posts up you said the highway mileage you do added up that 4K fast…

If you smelled burning fluid you probably really should have taken it back for a recheck. I’d jump at that 80%.
Im not jumping just yet. I'm still waiting for him to send me the correct procedure.

That 80% is from corporate. She said she's gonna find out how much the dealership will cover on top of that 80.... But I'm pretty positive I got them on the oil thingy.... so dealership will pay.

I'm comitting nothing because the condition of transmission is still unknown until PTU repair is completed. If I commit anything then I'll be liable on the transmission as well. No commitment from me now and then transmission turns up damaged then that's on them because I've accepted 0 responsibility on PTU and guaranteed the PTU subsequently damaged the transmission.

Should hopefully have this sorted out by end of day.

Im not jumping just yet. I'm still waiting for him to send me the correct procedure.

That 80% is from corporate. She said she's gonna find out how much the dealership will cover on top of that 80.... But I'm pretty positive I got them on the oil thingy.... so dealership will pay.

I'm comitting nothing because the condition of transmission is still unknown until PTU repair is completed. If I commit anything then I'll be liable on the transmission as well. No commitment from me now and then transmission turns up damaged then that's on them because I've accepted 0 responsibility on PTU and guaranteed the PTU subsequently damaged the transmission.

Should hopefully have this sorted out by end of day.
If they pay for the PTU it doesn’t mean they’re on the hook for the transmission. You’re out of warranty. You called and told them it WASN’T fixed. You put 4000km highway (or city, that’s irrelevant) on it. You knowingly drove a vehicle you thought was broken, and couldn’t get to a dealer in 4,000km. I fail to see how you think you have no liability here. You’ve done nothing but blame them, even before you had any idea of what the repair actually entailed.

Legally, I don’t believe they have to do anything for you. Warranties have a definitive end. You knew it was broke, and drove outside this limit.

Well I do a lot of highway driving for the business I run. So 4,193 km doesn't take long.

So now I'm getting the runaround from the general manager because I'm relying on his word and he showed me the procedure that Ford gives for the removal installation for the drive shaft seal removal installation so what he's done is he's showed me a front wheel drive removal installation and he gave me pages 2-7 but didn't include page 1

Is there any way I can find the correct removal installation for all wheel drive power transfer unit seal replacement that Ford techs use?

While we were going back and forth on the phone yesterday afternoon I kept to bring up the fox that the mechanic didn't note on the invoice drain or refill oil in the PTU. He told me that the shaft goes right through the PTU and wouldn't have had to drain the PTU. So I said if that's the case show me the procedure that the Ford technicians use for the job they did the last time I was there and what and that will prove whether or not the mechanic missed a step or not. So what does he do he sends me the wrong procedure for a FWD and he's missing the first page. To me I'm assuming on the first page shows drain the oil from the PTU and he knows I got them and that's why he showed me incorrect nformation thinking I wouldnt notice.

I wait to see what his response is and if he sends me the right info but I don't want him to give me some bullshit stories so if I have the information in front of me I'll just send that information along with the email that I'm about to reply with.
remember one important thing if its not written down on service invoice it means nothing in court even if a witness overheard
have you had an independent mechanic look and verify anything and how much he would charge again in writing
i was going to saw go to ford itself and still would if that repair was under warrantee

Back