ATF Flow Question/Confirmation

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
I am going to mount a Magnefine inline ATF filter on the upper hardline that connects into the top left of the radiator on the driver's side in front of the AC compressor. I just want to verify/confirm that that line flow is FROM the Trans INTO the radiator side compartment. So that the ATF flows up from the trans, into the radiator, out on the lower connection and then to the additional ATF cooler that came with the Trailer Tow Prep Package, and then back to the Trans.

Want to make sure I get this filter in the right location and with the correct flow direction.

Thanks!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chef, after my overhaul I was running one downstream of the external cooler.

That is indeed the correct flow, with the hottest ATF
flowing into the top of the radiator cooler.

Are you placing the Magnefine there for easy
filter changes?

Yes, that was the intent. However, in retrospect I think that placement is incorrect. Upon further research (and as drdoom mentioned above) I want to place it on a cool return line into the trans, not a hot line out. So I'll look for a cool line coming out if the rad, or better yet, a cool line downstream of the external cooler. At least I am now no longer confused about flow direction.

The external ATF filter placement should be different based on the condition of the trans and coolers.

If the trans has never had any issues(debris), then place the filter at the outlet of the trans. That will protect the existing "clean" radiator/coolers.

If the trans has ever had any issues, then there may be some debris(or sediment(same thing)) left in the radiator or coolers. Place the filter downstream of those, closest to the trans inlet. That will protect the transmission from the potential material left in the coolers. Regards,

Good points Don.

This trans has about 12k on a complete rebuild, so virtually a new trans. This is the first fluid change after the rebuild. Given that, I think the correct location would be on the cool return after the aux cooler into the trans. Would that be correct install location?

This trans has about 12k on a complete rebuild, so virtually a new trans. This is the first fluid change after the rebuild. Given that, I think the correct location would be on the cool return after the aux cooler into the trans. Would that be correct install location?

Yes, that will make sure nothing left over from inside the coolers will reach the trans. That's the reason most trans shops like to install an external filter, even as a requirement for their warranty. :thumbsup:

Back