autolock not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

autolock not working

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
i just noticed that the "autolock" feature on my newly acquired 2000 Mountaineer does not work. it works on my other 3 Gen II's.

what's supposed to happen is, when you start the truck and put it in gear the doors should lock automatically (there are also some other circumstances when this will also happen, but for now i'm only concerned with the "put it in gear" scenario).

i know this feature can be deactivated, so i went through the procedure to turn it ON (enter key-less entry code, press and hold 7/8, then press and release 3/4) and the horn sounded once (deactivate), so i did the procedure again and the horn sounded twice with once short chirp and once long (activate) yet when i get in, start the truck and put it in gear the doors don't lock.

any ideas? what controls this... PATS, RAP, GEM ???

i'd like this feature to work (for safety) as this will be my daughter's vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

I'll go out and check mine but I think the auto lock happens when you apply the break to shift into gear, not when you actually shift. There may be an issue with the signal from the brake switch. Just a thought. I'll also check the service manual and see if I can verify or come up with an answer for you.

Edit: PIn 26 of the RAP module should have 12v input when the brake pedal is pressed.

I'll go out and check mine but I think the auto lock happens when you apply the break to shift into gear, not when you actually shift. There may be an issue with the signal from the brake switch. Just a thought. I'll also check the service manual and see if I can verify or come up with an answer for you.

Edit: PIn 26 of the RAP module should have 12v input when the brake pedal is pressed.

i am stepping on the brake pedal when shifting into gear (you really don't have a choice about that) but i'll check voltage on pin 26. i wish the RAP module was easier to get at... thanks!

i am stepping on the brake pedal when shifting into gear (you really don't have a choice about that) but i'll check voltage on pin 26. i wish the RAP module was easier to get at... thanks!

Oh yeah, I was just sayin' that it's the brake switch that engages the auto lock not the actual shift into gear. I think the engineers sit around in their meetings and toss ideas around on how to make important parts hard to get to. lol:scratch:

The "lock" happens while in gear, speed over 5mph and foot is off the brake pedal (brake light off).
If I drive with the brake slightly pressed (brake light "on") then it won't lock.

Probably the brake switch is broken/missaligned and the truck drives with brake light "on" all the time - very dangerous situation.

The "lock" happens while in gear, speed over 5mph and foot is off the brake pedal (brake light off).
If I drive with the brake slightly pressed (brake light "on") then it won't lock.

Probably the brake switch is broken/missaligned and the truck drives with brake light "on" all the time - very dangerous situation.

i'm suspecting something's going on with the brake light switch. the brake lights work normally, as does the shift interlock. with as many Gen II's as i have i pretty much know when the locks should lock themselves (although i'm not sure of the exact sequence of events, i do know that in this vehicle they don't lock automatically no matter what i've tried). i will be removing the front seats soon to re-do the leather and clean the carpeting, that will be the perfect time to have a good look at the brake light switch and related wires in relative comfort.

He's right. That is the correct sequence for the auto lock. I forgot that my remote start system overrides the OEM autolock. My remote start works the other way, it locks the doors once you step on the brake. Sorry about the bad info.

Have you checked to see if that function is even turned on? Pull out your owners Manuel and read the section on the keypad. It will tell you how to turn the function on and off.

Have you checked to see if that function is even turned on? Pull out your owners Manuel and read the section on the keypad. It will tell you how to turn the function on and off.

yes it's turned on. i stated this in my original post, it's the first thing i checked.

LOL Im blind my bad.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Mine stopped working a few weeks ago and now I can't lock the doors with the remote only the button in the door rest arm.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Mine stopped working a few weeks ago and now I can't lock the doors with the remote only the button in the door rest arm.

Yes. it was missing a fuse (#27) which is for the rear defogger, autolock, backup lights and O/D on/off. i had checked all the fuses that were there, but fuse #27 was missing. replacing it fixed all my problems and it didn't blow again. i assume the previous owner needed a fuse, borrowed #27 and never replaced it. my remotes worked fine, so you may have a different issue. are you sure someone did't turn off the autolock feature?

Back