Automatic headlight and DRL questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic headlight and DRL questions.

ghouck

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Ltd
I have a 2015 Explorer Limited that does not have DRLs. I live in Alaska, where headlights are required on the highway at all times. I'd like to either have DRL installed, or like I did in my Crown Vic, darken the sensor so the headlights come on even when the sun is out. Can anyone tell me where the sensor that turns on the headlights when they're set to auto is? I don't believe the square on the dash near the windshield is it, that seems to only effect the dash itself. Can the dealer install DRLs, and if so, will they show up on the dash readout? Thanks, Greg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sensor is for the auto headlamps as well. Cover it up if you want. If you take the Ex to the dealer they can activate DRL (not sure if it will be headlamps or turn signals) and no indication that they are on. If DRL is activated they are on anytime the vehicle is in gear and the headlamps are not turned on.

That sensor is for the auto headlamps as well. Cover it up if you want. If you take the Ex to the dealer they can activate DRL (not sure if it will be headlamps or turn signals) and no indication that they are on. If DRL is activated they are on anytime the vehicle is in gear and the headlamps are not turned on.

Thanks. Do you know if it will show up on the display as an option that can be enabled and disabled?

Thanks. Do you know if it will show up on the display as an option that can be enabled and disabled?

No it isn't user selectable

No it isn't user selectable

I agree with JMR. it isn't user selectable. However, the dealer needs to connect their computers, go to external lighting and then check a box that says DRL on. It activates the turn signals and they are always on after that. Had it done to mine and it made quite a difference. I've since moved on to completely custom headlights now though.

I bought a $1.50 bottle of flat black at Hobby Lobby, and painted the rectangular sensor cover on the front dash board. I got the headlights to come on when I start the Ex during daytime, however the dashboard lighting was dim during daylight. I turned up the dimmer switch to maximum, but the dashboard was still not bright enough during daylight. So I went into settings, and selected display, and turned the brightness to DAY setting. Works fine now. I will check how things work in the dark of night in the future. I figure worse case, I can change the setting to NIGHT if the dashboard is too bright when it is dark out.

I bought a $1.50 bottle of flat black at Hobby Lobby, and painted the rectangular sensor cover on the front dash board. I got the headlights to come on when I start the Ex during daytime, however the dashboard lighting was dim during daylight. I turned up the dimmer switch to maximum, but the dashboard was still not bright enough during daylight. So I went into settings, and selected display, and turned the brightness to DAY setting. Works fine now. I will check how things work in the dark of night in the future. I figure worse case, I can change the setting to NIGHT if the dashboard is too bright when it is dark out.

You could have just turned your headlights on and off if you're going to go through that much work constantly adjusting your dimmer. Furthermore, if you just leave your headlights on, they'll shut off after a little while when you turn your car off. Well before they drain your battery anyway.

I have a 2015 Explorer Limited that does not have DRLs. I live in Alaska, where headlights are required on the highway at all times. I'd like to either have DRL installed, or like I did in my Crown Vic, darken the sensor so the headlights come on even when the sun is out. Can anyone tell me where the sensor that turns on the headlights when they're set to auto is? I don't believe the square on the dash near the windshield is it, that seems to only effect the dash itself. Can the dealer install DRLs, and if so, will they show up on the dash readout? Thanks, Greg.

If I were you, I'd get the dealer to turn on the DRLs for the headlights if you have Halogens or the ambers if you have HIDs. That's a much simpler solution than trying to mess with the daylight sensor and it's stock lol

If I were you, I'd get the dealer to turn on the DRLs for the headlights if you have Halogens or the ambers if you have HIDs. That's a much simpler solution than trying to mess with the daylight sensor and it's stock lol

Yes that was what I'd suggest. Mine was a Canadian Explorer so it came with the Amber DRL on all the time. It looked really weird to me in southern Ohio, so I had them disable the DRL.

If you have the HIDs, they can only turn on the amber DRLs.
If you have the halogen headlights, they will be able to enable DRL for your headlights.

Yes that was what I'd suggest. Mine was a Canadian Explorer so it came with the Amber DRL on all the time. It looked really weird to me in southern Ohio, so I had them disable the DRL.

If you have the HIDs, they can only turn on the amber DRLs.
If you have the halogen headlights, they will be able to enable DRL for your headlights.

Actually IDS has changed and only allows the amber turn signals. But if you get DRL from the factory then it is the low beams.

Actually IDS has changed and only allows the amber turn signals. But if you get DRL from the factory then it is the low beams.

Can the dealer install the same DRL as the factory?

Can the dealer install the same DRL as the factory?

Possible yes...can a dealer do it...highly doubtful.

If they are running an older version of IDS that may still have it.

Good to know, they told me they could do it if I had regular halogens, my B.

Good to know, they told me they could do it if I had regular halogens, my B.

If you give me your vin I can check the current IDS and double check. I just did a 2012 XLT today and the only option for DRL was the turn signals.

If you give me your vin I can check the current IDS and double check. I just did a 2012 XLT today and the only option for DRL was the turn signals.

It's alright, I had them shut off my amber DRL. I don't need any DRL, and in fact my Explorer is on day #38 in the shop since I bought it 61 days ago.

Back