• Register Today It's free!

Aux A4LD cooler question???

dirtyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona and Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4dr
After adding my trans temp. gauge I have been thinking about adding a second cooler next to my stock one. Does it matter if I pipe it in before of after the stock cooler?

Also, what issues could arise with adding an additional cooler if any?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it matter if I installed it before or after the stock one? Also I have been looking at other threads and what is best ATF? should I go with the III of the V?

Thanks

Your 93 uses Dexron III/Mercon ATF. It doesn't make a difference which side the cooler goes on since the fluid is going through a cooler (big or small one) before it goes back to the transmission.

Adding a fan to the cooler can be a valuable improvement.

Adding a fan to the cooler can be a valuable improvement.

Do you mean adding a electric fan in front of the the stock tranny cooler? Would that be as effective as adding a second cooler?

I have read the "max atf temp" threads and I have only seen around 190 tops on my gauge. I know its not too hot so should I even be concerned about adding coolers or fans?

I was mainly concerned with the stress factor. 35"s and stock gears=dead A4LD

I am getting new gears soon. Right now I am driving like a grandma and my trans only gets around 160 degrees. I am starting to think adding another cooler wouldnt do a lot for me.

I dont do too much towing. Its my DD and sees a fair bit of off roading

We have two coolers on our X.. We have them stacked in front of each other and run in series.

In our case we have a transcooler with a fan in front (about 10" across, 12" tall).. Behind that we have another cooler that is about 12" tall but over 20" across.. Behind that is the a/c condensor.. behind that is the radiator..

The transmission does seem to run a little cooler, but only while moving. I think with all those things stacked on top of each other that I'm blocking too much air.

At idle, even with the aux fan in front of the cooler running the temp of the truck (water) will slowly rise until it just about overheats. I don't remember having that issue when I had the single smallish cooler up front (no fan, and no 2nd cooler)

My plan now is to remove the two coolers I currently have and get one plate cooler that is still only 10" across (so it only covers 1/2 of the condensor) but that is tall enough to give me more surface area and keep the fan on the front of it to help around town.

~Mark

Back