Auxiliary audio input - where?

dror

Reaction score
City, State
Kiryat Yam, Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Hi,

I'm looking for some information how to connect an auxiliary audio source (e.g., iPod) to my '06 XLT. The audio panel has an 'aux' button, but I don't know where the auxiliary input is located.

I would appreciate any help!

Dror

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no Aux input included, you would need to buy and Aux source, the Sat radio would function through this button or you can buy an adapter that will add an Aux input. To the best of my knowledge no one has this adapter for the 06 yet and the ones for the 05 or earlier do not work.

Let us know if you find one that works.

There is an electronics shop that was recommended to me from my dealer to add the aux input. According to the shop its a harness add on, that will cost me $200.00 I believe that he said its for an aux input in general and not only for the SAT imput however i was to thrown by the price to remember! lol too much i think

The PIE FRD04-AUX is NOT! compatible with the '06 Explorer and will not work when installed.

If you want to connect an iPod though, PIE's application guide says the FRD04-POD/S will do it.

Is it the same head unit thats used in the 07's? Mine has a functioning aux input. Perhaps you can use the part from the 07 models?

flyguy - where is the aux input jack?

In the center console right next to the power port.

I think that's an '07 only feature...?
correct, only OEM on 07s....but depending on the wiring configuration, one may be able to buy the correct harness and add it. It may just be a plug and play harness behind the the head unit.

If anyone is successful in obtaining this 2007 harness please update with cost and ease of instalation as I would like to modify my 2006 with the same console jack.

Consider getting a new head unit. I recently bought an Alpine 9857 and it's the best $300.00 (CDN) dollars that I've ever spent on my truck. It controls my iPOD and I 'm also able to use my plug n play Sirius Sportster. For the iPOD, the "Artist" and "Song title" appear on the screen of the deck. It also allows you to keep using your steering wheel controls, if you have them.

Maybe thats not what you were looking for, but I had a similar problem when I was trying to figure out how to use my Sirius Sportster and my iPOD in my '06 as well.

I'm glad that I did it; All that I changed was the head unit and I swear that the speakers and overall sound is 100% clearer and louder than with the stock HU.

I used the PXDX2 by Peripherial Electronics here is the link http://peripheralelectronics.com/prodDetail.asp?strProductID=510&strCategory=Auxiliary%20Input%20Solutions&strSearch=
I have a 2006 Mountaineer with the 6 disc in dash CD no DVD SAT or NAV. I checked out other units by PIE and a few others. This one seemed to have no bugs. It installed very easy. The only tough part was getting the wiring harness adapter to fit behind the HU. What this unit does is allows you to connect anything with a headphone jack or RCA connections to the HU. It sounds great, no static what so ever. I went with this option for the cost and the flexibility. I don't have the factory RSE. I can plug in my portable DVD for the kids and use the HU and speakers. I also was a little overwhelmed with the functions that you would have to remember if you used an IPOD intergration that disabled the IPOD click wheel. The text also will not scroll on the 2006 stock HU. I would rather just use the IPOD controls and IPOD screen. I bought mine online from discount car stereo.

Back