Auxiliary / Camping air conditioner? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auxiliary / Camping air conditioner?

ExplorerForumMan

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
Truck
This may seem like a stupid question, but can the air conditioner in the truck operate without the engine turning on? I feel like the answer must be No in a stock truck, since the compressor draws off the engine...

Ok: but I'm going to be camping in my truck, with my dog. I would like to be able to have the AC run off battery power (perhaps install a second battery, like an RV or camper van) and run the AC as required to maintain a set temperature.

Sounds like a bit of a hack, but does anyone know if this is something even remotely doable?

I did a bunch of searching for boat / truck air conditioners and it seems there's no real "good" solution. The best I've seen are these: http://www.swampy.net/wb.html

Which are cool and may work, I don't know. They need a water source though, would prefer a contained refrigerant setup.

Thoughts??

ps: I'll be camping in the mountains in Colorado, at 9,000 ft. so I have no idea how hot it's going to get, yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 9000 ft I really don't think you are going to need air conditioning. A warm blanket-yes, air conditioning-probably not.

At 9000 ft I really don't think you are going to need air conditioning. A warm blanket-yes, air conditioning-probably not.

It can get hot sitting in the sun up there.

No, you cannot run the air conditioning without the engine running.

What about a remote starter / shutoff system? Or how difficult would it be to install an electric motor-driven compressor for the AC?

What about a remote starter / shutoff system? Or how difficult would it be to install an electric motor-driven compressor for the AC?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take a gas run generator capable of 115 volts of power output with you and get an electric, portable self contained air conditioning unit (not the window AC type) and you would run the AC exhaust hose for the unit of out of your tent or whatever you are sleeping in thru some window or port. This would work, but you would have to haul a lot of equipment and fuel and I do agree with another poster that at 9,000 feet Alt, I wouldn't think it would get so hot you need AC. Maybe just bring a portable fan instead to cool you and the dog down. I'd imagine at night, it is freezing that high up. BTW, these self contained AC units can be moved around and placed anywhere in the tent, room or where ever you are using them, just as long as you have a window or port to run the exhaust hose out of. They come with long exhaust hoses as well.
Updated: I missed this part of your post where you would be sleeping in while camping >>>>>>>>but I'm going to be camping in my truck>>>>>>>>>>>>>
so one of these portable AC units wouldn't work in that case, obviously, not enough room for one in the truck.

i camp in Michigan, some days its just HOT in the tent. I actually thought about making one of those using an old cooler, if your handy cut a hole for PC 12v Fan 120mm, glue it to the top, fit a PVC 2" 90 elbow for a vent, fill with ICE, which needs to drain somehow. I'd wouldn't have much hope . . .but hey it might work for a few minutes.

Another idea find the closes city and check it historical temps, for Steamboat CO at 7k max is 81 degrees?
per TWC
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USCO0370

Looks like someone's already done it.

air-conditioner-car.jpg

I agree with Exproblems. You can't run the vehicles A/C without the engine running plain & simple.

Get a 3000 watt or bigger generator and a window A/C unit. It's your best bet.

When I go camping at 8,000-9,000 feet I sure don't need any A/C running in my camper, in fact at night we need several blankets cause it gets cold! sometimes I have to kick the furnace on.

Yes, as far as I know, camping portable air conditioners need a generator to operate. Perhaps you can install a small generator to power it. We like to sleep at 70 degrees or lower, and when we reached South Florida installed a portable that quickly cooled the room.

Install a small RV a/c in the roof and put a small generator on a cargo carrier in the back...

Might get a better deal just buying a small travel trailer...

Back