• Register Today It's free!

Aviator - now that's a truck!

dexplore

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mounty
Alright, I'm not saying I made a mistake buying a Mounty, but whew boy, I just read Motor Trend's review on the Aviator, and that sucker rocks!

Fast, and handles "like a sport sedan." Plus it tows 7100 pounds.

Screw the Lambo I lusted for last week (well, not really! That puppy was sharp, and 5 speed to boot), but the Aviator sounds cool.

Hmmmm...wonder if I could get that DOHC 4.6 into my Mountaineer? ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

believe me, you wouldn't want that 4.6L DOHC. the SUV itself is nice, but there are reasons why they are just now going into production for 03.

I believe there's more than one reason...

...actually, I think there's about 47,675 reasons.

The thing costs some bank, brother!

Also, if it's the same problem as the last N/A Cobra engine - since the Aviator and Cobra share lumps - yeah, I figured that would be another problem for the truck's late appearance.

I saw four of them on the lot when I bought my Mounty, though.

Originally posted by bjherron
believe me, you wouldn't want that 4.6L DOHC. the SUV itself is nice, but there are reasons why they are just now going into production for 03.
the dohc has been used in Cobras scince 96'? Thats what this engine is based off, the Marauder, Mach 1 and Aviator all use basically the same engine with minor power differences. My friends modded 03' Cobra rocks along with my other friends modded 01' Cobra.

dexplore - we know the guys at our dealer, they called us when they got the 1st Aviator in, I drove it and:eek: , for 5000lbs it f'n hauls. Very fast, faster then the sohc Mountys and Explorers and my neighbor has run a 15.7 at the track with his 02' Explorer, and Lincoln did an awsome job with the noise, all you hear is that sweet engine, no road or wind noise at all. Don't know why Motor Trends review was a little low on the quarter mile though, especially considering the high end pull of the dohc.

The DOHC is a freakin' big engine. The valve covers are monstrous. It should fit in the Mountaineer but you may need to do some fabricating.

On the other hand, if they put a DOHC in a Focus...I guess an X would fit it ;)

For $50K, that thing better transform into a robot, or submarine, or commuter jet, or something other than a quick X with bells and whistles!!!;) ;)

I haven't figured out who told auto makers that the mass population have all become millionaires and have no problem forking out this kind of money for a vehicle.

Sorry bout that.............had to rant!

Robb

the dohc has been used in Cobras scince 96'? Thats what this engine is based off, the Marauder, Mach 1 and Aviator all use basically the same engine with minor power differences. My friends modded 03' Cobra rocks along with my other friends modded 01' Cobra.

There are a lot of diffrences in the DOHC thru the years. The motor in my 93 Mark VIII is super reliable, as is all of them up to 03. If you search corral or stangnet, you will read about many of the 03 cobra and even 03 marauder engines developing a tick from the engine. This problem was even more evident on the aviator, and let's just say that tick gets way worse after about 20K miles. That's what I was referring to, and I can't really give out any more info than what has already been published.

Brian

Last weekend I tried to take an Avaiotor out for a test drive, borrowed my mom's BMW 750il so the would take me seriously (i'm 23) and they said that they were told by the factory that they weren't allowed to do test drives until some problem was figured out. Dealer couldn't say what the problem was.

Anyone have more info on this, I talked to a friend's dad who wants one and he got the same story.

My plan is to try and get one in 3-4 years coming off lease.

Yes, please post some of the problems!!

Test drive an Aviator?

When I bought my Mounty, the salesman was more than willing to let me have the Aviator. Test drive? Hell! He wanted me to buy the thing. I guess they're problem free - at least to this guy...

yeh thats funny, maybe b/c we're friends with our dealer, but they called us and told us to check out the Aviator, so my mom and I ran down there. F'n sweet truck, basically exactly like a mini Navigator from the outside to even the inside including the dash.

I have yet to meet anyone with an 03' Cobra or older developing a tick yet, and I've seen plenty being hammered at the track, my friends 03' already has 17,000 miles on it and he just got it in the summer time (yes he drives the piss out of it and is always at the track which is about an hour away from here), he's also putting out sick numbers with a few bolt on's and pulley swap from the lightning. I've only read a very small handful of people who had a tick on their 03' Cobra on stangnet but they said it was nothing serious.

Maybe the Aviator is developing a tick along with the new Mach 1 and thats why their fixing it, I wouldn't be worried b/c the dohc is reliable as hell like you said, and can handle a sh!tload of power.

DOHC all the way;) , Troll and blk mk8 were talking to me a while ago about dropping in an 03' Cobra engine into my 02' Mounty (looking at 03's now) when I get it, but that engine cost around 13,000 alone, and scince I'm not paying for the Mounty, I seriously doubt they'll pay 13,000 extra for a swap and I know I don't have 13,000 laying around for a swap, I wish though:( , that would be one sick truck with awd.

I would prefer to have a low range in it before i would buy one.

i dont like it. looks like a mini-me navigator, and when are you ever going to pull 7100 lbs? got a RV you'd like to tow? lol

This "ticking" is probably just piston-slap. Every GM vehicle has it. Go ask the Camaro/Firebird guys about it. They can tell you all about it :D

I saw an Aviator driving by the other week for the first time. It was different from what I was expecting, but I gotta say, I still liked it

Back