• Register Today It's free!

AWD "hopping" issue

steveinslo

Reaction score
City, State
San Luis Obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
OK I've searched on here and have read a lot of posts about a vibrating at slow speed turns (parking lot manuvers) and have seen the TBS 04-24-20 regarding the clutch pack replacement and simply replacing the differential fluid with the friction modifier. I have an '02 Mountaineer V8 with AWD. When I turn in a parking spot it doesn't vibrate but it feels as if all wheels are turning at the same speed and it hops or feels like one front tire is skidding while the other one isn't. Like when you drive a 4X4 engaged on dry pavement. Is that the same "vibrating" others are talking about?
Anyway...went to the dealer and mentioned the clutch pack but after diagnosis they say it is the transfer case. How can I make sure they are right? What questions can I ask?
Thanks in advance!

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is the transfer case. You can have them run more diagnostics just to be sure.

Thread moved -- yeah its probably the transfer case.

Indeed, the bucking and hopping is due to driveline bind-up caused by a transfer case that's not allowing slippage between the front and rear axles. Your transfer case should never lock up solid like it is.

The chattering talked about in the TSB (not TBS LOL!) is a vibration or shudder from teh rear end... Not at all the same symptoms.

-Joe

Thanks guys. I kind of thought it wasn't the TSB (not TBS) that I read about but wanted to make sure.

Back