AWD to 4WD/2WD 2000 Explorer/ Mountaineer ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 4WD/2WD 2000 Explorer/ Mountaineer ?

invecta18

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I recently join this Forum as I recently bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. It has become very apparent that the 2000 Mountaineer is basically the 2000 Explorer and that all the tech information and tips . etc are best found and answered with those who have an Explorer. I unfortunately have the AWD. Perhaps , the stupidest, least convenient. poorest thought out inovation ever installed on a car. It is difficult to try to understand why Ford would do something so stupid as to make a 4 wheel drive vehicle that doesn't allow you the option to switch it to 2WD. It is baffling to me as this AWD configuration makes the car handle like a tank, add perhaps 800 - 1000 lbs of unnecessary weight to the vehicle, it reduces the gas mileage by at least 2 to 3 mph, and puts constant wear and tear on a front differential and transfer case, and insures costly repair and maintenance well above the conventional 2wd. A feature that even in a snowy climate would be needed less that 20% of the time. A lose - lose - lose - lose concept. And this all could have been fixed with a 2wd- 4 wd transfer case, or at least helped.
I have read , or tried to read some of the threads posted. It is a little difficult. I am wondering if I can start by asking if someone knows the model number or type of transfer case that I could swap with the current AWD unit I have. I have the 5.0 v8. I did read that someone was going to manual shift, I am not interested in that , I wish to do whatever I can to get rid of the AWD system and I believe the 4wd-2wd transfer case swap ( if possible) would work. I would greatly appreciate any help

Thank you for the thread. I did see it before. As a person who is hesitated to believe that a manual shift is any more reliable than an electronic system , I would find it hard to risk cutting a hole in the floor and taking on the extremely complicated chore of attempting to install manual shift linkage when the electronic ones are available. For the most part and for how seldom I would use it, it would certainly work fine. I appreciate the link. For me,the electronic would certainly make more sense. I would like to know the model of the transfer of the electronic 4x4 explorer, if anyone knows it.

I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with AWD. I wish to do something to allow me to drive it with 2WD. I have looked thru eBay a there are many explorer transfer cases available from explorers that list as 4x4 pt. I am asuming this is a transfer case that allows 2 WD ? So, my first question, does anyone know if this 4x4 transfer case has 2WD high ? My 2nd question , if so, does anyone know it if it could be swapped out with an AWD transfer case in a Mountaineer ?

Back