• Register Today It's free!

AWD transfer-case swap?

lancen

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt 5.0 AWD
hey guys, I would like to wheel my '98 xlt but I don't want to start any major mods unless I know I can get a t-case w/ low range. My Haynes manual tells me that the AWD t-case is the Borg Warner 44-05, or C-trac, and is only modified to run full-time. I don't think I can swap in the 13-54 out of the 4.0 model because it has a different tranny. But the f-150 is equiped w/ the 4r70w. Her in lies my question. I found web sites that told me the explorer has the same tranny, but I thought it had the A40D tranny. Would I be able to swap in a f-150 t-case and get the low range I want and if so, will I need to modify the computer? Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the bolt pattern is the same you should be able to use an f-150 t-case but there might be size constraints. Most likely you will need a custom front driveshaft since the f-150 t-case will have a different mounting plate or u-joint. Personally i think your best option is to find a manual t-case, you wont have to fool around with wires and computers. however i don't know if the 4r70w has mounting points for a shift linkage so you might have to custom fab something. You can also get an adapter from advanced adapters that will allow you to mount a 4405 or 1354 to your 4r70w. stad2x (i think is his name) put a 4405 in his 5.0 explorer and did all the wiring. Also if you do decide to go with a manual t-case you might have to remove the full length console (if so equiped) and swap it out for a short console.

The transmission you have is the 4R70W. The transfer case you have is the BW 4404.

You could try to fit the F-150 transfer case but it will likely be too big to fit. Pretty sure the newer ones use a BW 4406.

You can buy an adapter from Advance Adapters that will allow you to use the BW 1354.

I talked to the guys at Advanced Adapters and they don't think I would need an adapter to fit the 13-54 to the 4r70w. He does think that there would be a problem with the different spline numbers. He said the existing t-case is a 31 spline and the 13-54 is a 25 spline. I'm guessing this is going to be a trial and error project. Has anyone tried this?

thanks guys for the previous responses

I'm confused, I thought Advanced adapters make an adapter to go from the 4r70w to the 4405. I know they make something because the 4405 or 1354 will not bolt directly up to the 4r70w.

Oh my god This is exaclty what I am looking for! I kind of had the feeling the guy at AA was kind of guessing with the info he gave me. It is a little more money than I was hoping, but the only reason I didn't want to go with the Atlas was the price. I also wanted to keep my center consol. So I guess $1500 will probably be worth it. I'm just wondering why the search didn't tell me about that thread weeks ago. Thanks again for the help.

Back