AWD turning off on 2014 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD turning off on 2014 XLT

Peter,

The hook seems to blend into the Styrofoam making it easy to miss. Perhaps it should be colored safety orange or red and have better notation of where it is "hidden".

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is their a tire size and 17 inch wheel combination that would make a spare tire that will not shut down the awd system for an xlt with 18 inch wheels?

Is their a tire size and 17 inch wheel combination that would make a spare tire that will not shut down the awd system for an xlt with 18 inch wheels?
I think the problem would be that a full size wheel will not properly fit in the 'well' made for the spare. It would likely be too high when laying on its side to allow for the wheel to be fastened in place and for the cover to lay flat.

Peter

I think the problem would be that a full size wheel will not properly fit in the 'well' made for the spare. It would likely be too high when laying on its side to allow for the wheel to be fastened in place and for the cover to lay flat.

Peter

That is a really dumb design IMO

That is a really dumb design IMO
I think you'll see more and more of this as manufacturers attempt to find ways to reduce weight to meet the increasing demand/targets for fuel efficiency.

Peter

I think you'll see more and more of this as manufacturers attempt to find ways to reduce weight to meet the increasing demand/targets for fuel efficiency.

Peter

I am use to the donut design from the factory to reduce weight and make the epa happy. I just think not giving the space and option to the purchaser to replace it with a real tire is dumb. empty space does not add weight.

I think it is really stupid in this case as the awd does not work with the donut so if you get a flat using the awd on a trail the donut will not work with awd and you can not get back. So yes I few this as rather stupid engineering design imo. (blunt enough?)

.....I think it is really stupid in this case as the awd does not work with the donut so if you get a flat using the awd on a trail the donut will not work with awd and you can not get back. So yes I few this as rather stupid engineering design imo. (blunt enough?)
That only seems to apply to the 2013 and 2014 models. I can switch between my 20" and 17" wheels without having to re-calibrate the system for the navigation. Your spare was designed for your vehicle so it should not affect the AWD system at all unless you are using non OEM sized wheels.

Peter

That only seems to apply to the 2013 and 2014 models. I can switch between my 20" and 17" wheels without having to re-calibrate the system. Your spare was designed for your vehicle so it should not affect the AWD system at all unless you are using non OEM sized wheels.

Peter

OK - I am confused

I have a 2014 xlt with 18 inch wheels on order. Are you saying the awd system will work with the donut on that EX?

OK - I am confused

I have a 2014 xlt with 18 inch wheels on order. Are you saying the awd system will work with the donut on that EX?
I don't see why it wouldn't. It would be meant to fit your vehicle so it is likely that the vehicle systems wouldn't even know it is there except that I don't think they have a TPMS sensor. (not positive on that part)

Peter

I don't see why it wouldn't. It would be meant to fit your vehicle so it is likely that the vehicle systems wouldn't even know it is there except that I don't think they have a TPMS sensor. (not positive on that part)

Peter

I hope you are correct. I was under the belief the awd did not work with the donut. this is one thing I would like to be wrong about

I am use to the donut design from the factory to reduce weight and make the epa happy. I just think not giving the space and option to the purchaser to replace it with a real tire is dumb. empty space does not add weight.

I think you're going to see more and more manufacturers go with run-flat tires and no spare at all. Not sure that should apply to SUV's though, I would prefer a real spare also.

I wanted to share that I also got the AWD OFF message. I was driving in sand for about 10 to 15 minutes and the engine was doing a lot of work. I never got stuck, it was a river bed here in AZ. All of the sudden I see the message AWD OFF and I got stuck right away. I didn't know about this issue of over heating at the time so I decided to stop for a while, open the hood, and check the bottom the EX for leaks. Everything seemed fine. Weather was around 90 degrees and I had been off trail for about 3 hours, using AWD on and off on steep hill climbs. The message went off after I had the EX off for about 5 minutes. I kept driving in the sand and about a minute later the message came up again. So I decided it was enough for the day and went home. Glad to find this info now so I better understand the EX capabilities. It kind of sucks that it overheats but I did work it pretty hard.

What I believe you meant when you said "using AWD on and off" was that you were using the terrain management system control. Is that right? You can't really turn AWD off. It works as an 'On Demand' system as determined by the vehicle's electrical systems. It really is always ON even if you're driving mainly if FWD on the highway etc.
From page 39 of your Owner's Manual;
4WD OFF - Displayed when the AWD system has been automatically disabled to protect itself. This is caused by operating the vehicle with the compact spare tire installed or if the system is overheating. The AWD system will resume normal function and clear this message after driving a short distance with the road tire re-installed or after the system is allowed to cool.

Peter

I wanted to share that I also got the AWD OFF message. I was driving in sand for about 10 to 15 minutes and the engine was doing a lot of work. I never got stuck, it was a river bed here in AZ. All of the sudden I see the message AWD OFF and I got stuck right away. I didn't know about this issue of over heating at the time so I decided to stop for a while, open the hood, and check the bottom the EX for leaks. Everything seemed fine. Weather was around 90 degrees and I had been off trail for about 3 hours, using AWD on and off on steep hill climbs. The message went off after I had the EX off for about 5 minutes. I kept driving in the sand and about a minute later the message came up again. So I decided it was enough for the day and went home. Glad to find this info now so I better understand the EX capabilities. It kind of sucks that it overheats but I did work it pretty hard.

Your PTU was probably overheating so it cut off.

What I believe you meant when you said "using AWD on and off" was that you were using the terrain management system control. Is that right? You can't really turn AWD off. It works as an 'On Demand' system as determined by the vehicle's electrical systems. It really is always ON even if you're driving mainly if FWD on the highway etc.
From page 39 of your Owner's Manual;
4WD OFF - Displayed when the AWD system has been automatically disabled to protect itself. This is caused by operating the vehicle with the compact spare tire installed or if the system is overheating. The AWD system will resume normal function and clear this message after driving a short distance with the road tire re-installed or after the system is allowed to cool.

Peter
You are correct. By "using AWD on and off" I mean I would use the terrain management system as needed.

On a different note: There was one very steep hill that I couldn't get enough traction. My friends on the cherokees with 4 low where able to do it. I was later wondering if using the break with my left foot and the accelerator with my right foot would of given me more controlled traction. Do you know? Any threads in here where you have seen this topic?

Your PTU was probably overheating so it cut off.
Now that I googled what PTU means (hahaha) I think you are right.
What worries me is that people have had this issue in the snow driving in normal conditions. I would imagine the chances of overheating then would be a lot lower.
I can't wait to do some snow off roading this winter but I know I will always have this in the back of my mind.

I went the entire last winter--hell, several Ford AWD systems across about 5 vehicles and never had an AWD disablement message.

The system cuts to prevent thermal breakdown of the fluid (and thus eventual failure of the PTU.) Normal winter driving shouldn't hit these limits. Offroad might be another story.

Notably in 2017, I believe everyone got a PTU cooler. I was told the design was revised this MY for even my "lowly Limited."

You have to remember that these Explorers are not designed for "off roading" like your friends Cherokee

I went the entire last winter--hell, several Ford AWD systems across about 5 vehicles and never had an AWD disablement message.

The system cuts to prevent thermal breakdown of the fluid (and thus eventual failure of the PTU.) Normal winter driving shouldn't hit these limits. Offroad might be another story.

Notably in 2017, I believe everyone got a PTU cooler. I was told the design was revised this MY for even my "lowly Limited."
Ok that makes me feel a lot better, I would imagine that is how its designed to be used. The posts at the beginning of this thread make it sound like they just started the car and try to drive a few feet and the AWD goes off. I wonder if they did something before to overheat the system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back