headlights turning off on thier own | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlights turning off on thier own

frstxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford, Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Ok im stuck my head lights keep turning off and on by them selves it started with the high beams only, theyd come on and be ok for awhile then all of a sudden theyd cut out, switch to low beams it was fine after a while you could go back to highs for awhile. then it started doing it on low beams. :( Ive changed the c.b. in the fuse box checked the maxi fuse in the power dist. box and checked the plugs at the head lights its acting like a relay but there isnt a relay for the head lights dont know if I should try a bigger c.b. ive got a 20amp in there no Thanks In Advnce For Any Help ~DREW~ :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what to tell you. Maybe a short? Try a continuity check between the positive & ground? Other then that, you may want to remove the switch from the dash & clean it out with some electronic spray / contact cleaner. Most of the time in my truck, I find the switches dirty as opposed to bad wiring.

Walter

Does it only happen when you are driving it? Or when you are parked and the vehicle isnt moving?

It sounds like it could be the dimmer switch/flash to pass.If it has auto lamps or the auto dimmer it could be that also.

Brandons said:
Does it only happen when you are driving it? Or when you are parked and the vehicle isnt moving?
It happens regardless of what im doin with the x driving parked dosnt matter. Im startin to lean towards the multi function switch...

go get yourself a new headlight dimmer switch its that believe me it was happening to me about a month ago ppl were pulling over thinking i was a police officer and then when id pass them up theyd give me the finger and i would be like what was that for? anyhow it has not done it since i got one from the junkyard you might need the harness as well mine was completely burned. the plastic was melted and even though the headlight switch doesnt seem faulty it is. note take wire cutters with u those clip on the gray harness break easily, cut it from the wires and take it apart at your home slowly then. go to your car and take each wire from the old one, one by one and insert it in its place(thats if its burned) if not dont worry about it

thanks guys im goin out back to pull a switch out of one of my junked ones today hopefull thats it

Headlight switch........been there done that

yeah, it's either the switch on the dash or the one on the column. try the dash switch first, it doesn't cost as much. that's prolly the one, when the other one goes out the lights shouldn't work at all unless you pull it back to flash the brights then that would work because it's a different circut. so..the dash switch is pretty cheep at autozone and the column switch was like 150 there but try "green auto sales" they have a website, you can get their phone number there, my uncle works there and they are very knowledgable ford gurus.

Back