• Register Today It's free!

Back Hatch problems

CarrollGuy10

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
My back hatch will not close tightly and when I got it it was missing the thing that looks like a bolt on the drivers side so i replaced it and it still does not latch. I unpluged the sensor that triggers the dome lights as for i did not want my battery to die. Also my hatch does not lock or open from the outside. The only way to lock it is from the inside. What might my problem be? Im 20 and trying to get this thing fixed up this summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the latches inside the door move when you twist the handle?
Can you post a pic of what's missing or what you changed to fix it?

everything works when i turn the handle like it engages and everything that is how i get the door open and the window open. The latch on the door opens and closes on the sides to it is just the top latching mechinism wont latch around the bolt that i had to replace and because of it the sensor does not get triggered. I read in some posts that you can make adjustments on the hatch but i just dont know how to do it maybe that would work. I'll try to post a picture.

There is about 1/4" of adjustment in all directions on the 'bolt'. It may take a few tries, but I would center (top to bottom) but pull the bolt all the way towards the BACK of the vehicle. Tighten the bolt, and close the door VERY slowly.

Does it catch the latch when you do that?

If it does, you just need to fine tune it from there so the door is tight, and the lines match up when the hatch is closed.

If it doesn't catch, remove the 'bolt' on the other side, completely. And start over, doing them one at a time.

If it STILL doesn't catch, you need replace the claw mechanism.

Ryan

how exactly do i make adjustments? Also I was trying to firgure out why my hatch would not unlock from the outside and accidently broke some of the plastic. Do you know where I can get a replacement peice? Would I have to go to the junkyard or can I find a store that might carry it?

Back