• Register Today It's free!

bad gas milage and light

panteramatt

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer V8
I have 2 problems with my 97 4.0 sohc. Im all of a sudden getting bad gas milage and the power feels a little down. It only has 66k on it and just started happening. The air filter is fine. Also I got a alarm put in and now both the 4 wheel low and hi lights flash but they still work. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

Have you noticed any odd smells or black smoke from the tailpipe recently? These would indicate that you're running rich and your fuel pressure regulator is stuck open.

There are also other possibilities such as a dirty MAS or bad O2s, but if you're running rich the FPR is the most likely cause.

One more question: does the power "feel down" at all times or just at part throttle? Does the problem get a little better on the highway or with lots of throttle?

Hook up a scanner and check the function of the O2 sensors.

Good luck......

Originally posted by aldive
Hook up a scanner and check the function of the O2 sensors.

Good luck......

Not to disagree, but most people don't have easy access to a scanner that can do this. If he has a capable scanner then I would absolutely recommend this. However, most people aren't gonna have a shop do this for $$$ or go out and buy a $350 for one problem.

yes its true I dont have a scanner but I think that abc auto parts does it for free. I too have thought about the o2 sensors and I already cleaned the maf sensor a little bit ago and all this just started happening. Im pretty sure that the power is down all over but dont really quote me cause I drive a mustang and driving a v6 explorer is a whole nother thing. (its my girls truck). Please help me cause I converted my girl to fords and bought this explorer and its really nice but damn have I had some probs with it. Not giving ford a good name.

Back