Bad vibrations... What could it be? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad vibrations... What could it be?

Ohhh, those!! Now I know what you're talking about. I read that's a common problem on our trucks. I wonder how tight or loose mine are. You used loctite to help keep them in?

For some reason I was thinking the U bolts because I know the bolts on those can get loose too.

i had a similar shimmy in my 1996, and it would not go away, i changed everything, i thought,,
turns out i checked all the rear u joints and they appeared fine, but the front u Joint was dry and rusted inside when i changed it out, couldn't see if , and it felt fine.

now silky smooth ,,

the u joints i was talking about were on the rear shaft, mine had rusted inside the caps and than the little needle bearings had all but disappeared , i greased them and it took grease , but the 2 caps were so full of rust that it did not get into the 2 caps,
they even appeared tight when i tried to shake them by hand,,

take into mind that i had the whole suspension out of my Ex when i did the swap of the rear springs and diff, during my lift kit, and they were fine than,,
I have also had a few people i know have a similar problem with other makes and models, and it ended up being the same thing for them too, ,

Ohhh, those!! Now I know what you're talking about. I read that's a common problem on our trucks. I wonder how tight or loose mine are. You used loctite to help keep them in?

That's what I used! I know that there should be torque specifications for those bolts, but I just thightened them as good as I could.

Back