Baja Guidebooks

Ken Cooke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Rubicon - Tomb Raider
For anyone thinking about traveling to Baja, heres a couple of books to throw your way that talk all about the
difficulty of negotiating certain "notorious" roads. Good luck, and happy 4 Wheeling!

Baja Adventures by Land*Air*Sea (By Marvin and Aletha Patchen) Baja Trail Publications, 1981)
--This book covers Baja from the early 1950's to the late 1970's. Marv and Althea did it all! This book explains
their growing interest in Baja from the early 50's, and their evolution from dune buggies, to racing the Baja 1000,
to boating, kayaking, to offroading in their specially set up Jeep pickup, to their mellow retirement that they're
experiencing today. This book is like a Little Rascals Marathon. Craziness that you hope will never end.

Backroad Baja (By Patti and Tom Higginbotham) Somethings Fishy Publications, 1996)
--The heading on the back cover of this book reads, "Experience the splendor and adventure of the real Baja...
Beyond the pavement!"
I feel this statement sums it all up, and this book caters to the 4x4 enthusiast with trails and info centering on the
midriff region of Baja.

Camping and Climbing in Baja (By John W. Robinson) La Siesta Press, 1967)
--This book is a little hard to find, but I was able to get mine off the web last year after 2 weeks of searching and
emailing. John Robinson is a climber who also explains in great detail the terrain and roads of the Sierra Juarez and Sierra San Pedro Martirs. Roads and places for adventures are spotlighted in this informative read.

The Baja Adventure Book (By Walt Peterson) Wilderness Press, 1995)
--This book breaks down the entire Baja Peninsula, and tells you practically everything you'll ever need to know. From
the "Jeep Trails" to places to camp, to the history of this peninsula. I'd buy this book first if money was a concern.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you have it, your very own book list to get you going. I have studied these books, and their information has never
let me down (except for the lack of mention of deadly rip tides north of Ensenada). It is also good to get a nice set of maps, and also a GPS since the roads are not as easy to
travel as they are here in the U.S. Good luck!

Back