• Register Today It's free!

bass 10s,12s, 0r 15s

Bionic4.0

Reaction score
City, State
bville fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
i want bass my sisters boy friend gave me a rockford power 500a2 amp and a 12" punch he sub in a sealed box then my friend gave me a bazooka 12 in a band pass box i want more i loaned the rockford to a friend my qustions are how do i bridge the amp and what should i run 2 10s, 12s, or 15s and what kind of box would you sugest i can also build my own which is what i will most likly do sense i can make what would look relly good but still what type of box should i use sealed, ported, or band pass:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small sealed = good tight bass ~ great for slap bass, rock, jazz, and more "musical" type stuff

Ported = hard hitting bass ~ good for rap, but not as tight, the ports slow down the restoring force seen on the cone, so you will have more bloat/lag in the sound, but it will be 'boomier' (good for high SPL's/dB's)

Bandpass = kinda best of both worlds, but still not as tight as a sealed box. Hit's hard, sounds good, but takes up alot of room. If you have room to burn, a bandpass box is definately the most versatile.

I personally like small sealed boxes... In a perfect world, I would have a 12" in 1 cu. ft of space and an 8" in 0.4-0.5 cu. ft. of space. This will give you tight bass with a good range response, and will still drop to 20 Hz b/c of the 12".

15's are good for SPL's and dB's, but if you listen to anything with a string bass... a 15" won't sound very good

I have always had a pair of 12's in a ported box no matter what car I owned and loved them.

thanks for the help

well my friend inverted the rockford in his car and it hits hard in a sealed box i mean hard for a 12 with 200 pushing it and i have the bazooka with 500 pushing it and it hit relly hard but i like my music and i want my truck to be diffent the ae about 15 other kids that drive x's at my school but the just drive and dont relly care bout any thing so with just the small system i have i better and much diffrent i was thinking that i would go with 2 or 3 12's in a band pass let me know what you think

if you wanna upgrade that 12, go for one with 4 ohm
dvc.......you 'll be able to bump the output of the amp to over 500 watts...!

grab an he2 if you want to stick with rf, and try the sub in the box normal, you tend to lose a bit of output(not too much) with the sub out of phase (i think thats what u meant right?)

try it.....

well i have desided that im hgoing to build a costom box (band pass) with to 12 in the band pass and a 500 mono spilt pushing them with water cooling and, 2 8s in small sealed with water and 100 pushing each then a 4 ch pushing componet qforms in the front and 6x9 in the back(in the box) then ill put in a new head unit all will be bazooka but the head unit becuz i have not found a head unit that bazooka makes i am going a bazooka and would like for all to be bazooka but if my headunit cant be then i just have to find something else that is very nice

water cooling? you mean the amps or subs? i didnt know they still tried water..........or maybe it was a weird dream or something like that.........

all bazooka hey? put up some pics and lets see how it looks, ive always been a fan of bandpass, jut never could build one right........

oh yeah, donet put your 6/9's in the same box as your subs (i think thats what you meant...), they, or the sub, won't sound as good.......unless your building a sep. baffle for them.......

Whoever said a 15" won't sound very good doesn't know a lot about car audio. Most SQ competitors use 15's, mainly because they are bigger they are more effecient and do not have to work as harder as the 10's or 12's to achieve the same volume. Go with the 15's in a nice ported box.

from what ive read on diff. threads, it seems that alot of people have diff. views on what sq is, some people swear by sealed, then others are with ported. but i think it is safe to say that a 15 isnt for sq, they are usually, and i say usually....for spl numbers, alot sq competitors use 10's and 12's........

maybe even 1 of them at that.....its been said, alot actually, that ported is for spl, and i think alot of people stand by that rule.......

ported, in my mind isnt as tight sounding as sealed.....
tightness of sound--sound quality....

ported, a little more of a boomier sound--spl.

not knockin', just relaying......

well hey im having mix thoughts now on wether to gowith port or band pass for the 12s but still im building this and yes my 6x9s will be in small boxes with in the big box right now im in the drawing stage this will be a long process and will be will worth it and yes water is still done by bazooka they cool there subs with it changes there power by 100 or so im thing about 3 amps a 500 mono 200x2 and a 60x4 plus the hu im also going to put neons in the box is this smart or will presure bust the glass will i have to go to scool finsh latter
peace nate

Remember, with a bandpass box its alot harder to hear distortion.... just another drawback. If you can, use a multimeter to find the optimal gain setting...
good luck with your box.

hey thanks im going to need it i think if any body has a sugestion send me a pm please

Im the friend that *coff* exchanged *coff* the bazooka+bandpass for the rockford.
Sounded ok with 200W, sounded better with 400W. Windows rattle down the street with it inverted :p. When/if he starts working on this im proly going to be helping him.
Also, Nate, that horn is ****, dunno what happend, but i went to use it and I poped my CTSV fuse, ****nig funny as hell, no dash, no lights, no horn. Riped out that pos and replaced the fuse and everythign is fine now.

P.S. I know I dont have a, what did you all call them? an x? But I was bored and figured I'd post on a friends topic :p.

Originally posted by airkevin23
Whoever said a 15" won't sound very good doesn't know a lot about car audio. Most SQ competitors use 15's, mainly because they are bigger they are more effecient and do not have to work as harder as the 10's or 12's to achieve the same volume.

Not sure I agree with you. I dont think it is right to assume that someone doesnt know very much about car audio because he said a 15 wont play a string bass very well. There are some sounds that 15s wont play as well, and they often sound "slower or sloppier".

You may or may not be correct that many competitors use 15s, the ones I judge and know of dont, but maybe they do things different where you are from.
It is also incorrect to say that they are more effcient because they are bigger. Efficiency is in the design of the subwoofer.
Im not sure about 15s not having to work as hard to achieve the same volume, as I dont really know what you mean by that. They have a bigger cone area so they will theoretically move more air, but their increased moving mass often needs more power to produce the same effects.

Chris

What exactly do you judge. I'm talking about IASCA world finals. Now if you judge that, then you sir are right about everything and I'll just stop talking but I'm going to assume you don't. 15's are used more commonly than pretty much anything else.
And as far as sloppier and slower sounds. Yes I do agree with that if you get some cheap ass sub, of course it will. If you get a brahma or x.. or W7 , put it in a correctly tuned and fit box, then no it won't. I've got 2 Audiobahn 1508q's, and everyone knows Audiobahn is pretty much crap when it comes to sound quality, but mine aren't that bad. They can keep up with the quick beats of rock and techno and can really pound as well. I get a lot of compliments about how good they sound at lower volumes.

I judge DB Drag Racing. If you reread my statement, all I said was that I dont see 15s as SQ subs, but I will reiterate that maybe they do things differently where you've seen em.
Obviously if you buy some pos sub, making it sound like a nice quality sub will be hard if not impossible. I concur that tuning and box making are THE keys to making a sub sound well.
As to the sloppiness, the Mms of the sub is an important factor. Mms is the mass of everything moving in the sub, including cone voice coil, and parts of the surround. A higher Mms will usually have a more rigid cone, and therefore less distortion, but will not play as high of frequencies and be less articulate (Less ability to play the subtleties of the music)

Chris

Back