Battery draining issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery draining issues

praveen

Reaction score
City, State
Qatar, Qatar
Year, Model & Trim Level
I bought a new battery for my 2006 explorer in the month of November 2010. My vehicle was idle for almost a month and when I returned from vacation the battery had drained. As the battery was having warranty, I got the battery replaced with a new one. The new battery worked for almost 6 months and again drained. My explorer does'nt start.

Are there any issues with battery or charging in 2006 explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any aftermarket alarm or remote start? If so there is a certain way to hook up the door locks for this not to happen.

I have same problem with my 06. I am on my 4th battery, and I have remote starter with alarm (all aftermarket) and I think that's my problem. The last battery lasted 9 months, luckily AutoZone gave me a new one.

I have same problem with my 06. I am on my 4th battery, and I have remote starter with alarm (all aftermarket) and I think that's my problem. The last battery lasted 9 months, luckily AutoZone gave me a new one.

There are known issues with after market alarms/starters and the keyless portions of them. If you dont diode the lock/ unlock wires this problem will happen.

Even the tech notes for aftermarket installs (remote starts and alarms) calls out for the diodes or it can cause the battery drain.

I suspect the rating of the battery AC DELCO NX110-5LF that was replaced earlier. Now I have replaced with AC DELCO 65-72S which is recommended for Explorer. The only additional modification done by me was addding a rear radar sensor.

I will have to wait and see how long this battery would last!!!!

I would have your alarm checked and fixed by the shop that installed it to make sure its installed properly and that the lock wires are infact diode isolated. If they are not its just a matter of time.

Back