Battery/Elec issue..Some Troubleshooting Done Already | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery/Elec issue..Some Troubleshooting Done Already

cast&pray

Reaction score
City, State
Bryan, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
I just purchased a 91 Explorer, and first off had to put a fresh battery in it. I noticed that as soon as I hooked up the battery, something (seemingly under the hood) energized with a sort of whirring sound. Now the battery is one week old and dead. So I jumped it last night and allowed it to charge for a while (alternator works great), shut it off and it started again for me after doing this. Now this morning it's dead again. I repeated the jump start/charging ritual and when I shut it down started pulling fuses out of the power dist. box under the hood. When I pull the third fuse from the front (battery side)(30A), that is what is making the energizing noise. None of the other fuses in made any difference whatsoever.
Please note that I don't have a cover for this dist. panel, it's missing.
Could that lead me to the source of my battery drain? What does this fuse do?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

<Post deleted>Accidental dbl post

Thank You both! According to the diagram, that's the EEC fuse, and the thread that was linked sounds eerily similar to my issue. I assume the EEC 30 amp fuse powers the fuel pump relay? Maybe I'll just replace all three relays to be safe.
I have had the EEC fuse removed since early this morning and the battery is still holding what little charge I put into it. It'll turn the motor over easily but not start with the fuse out, of course. I may have found my problem thanks to you!

...I think you have the problem described in the link in post #2...If you need to know what relays, I have my X with me now and can look...Just refer to the pic in that link, which fuse you need to know...;)

I posted the diagrams for the fuse panels for a 91 Ex Here

You guys are great, I can't thank you enough.
I've had the 30 amp EEC fuse out since yesterday and the battery is still holding a charge, so I'm going to have get under the power distribution module and replace a relay-I really wanted this done by now, but my weekend was so full of activity that I haven't had a chance to go any further with it, but after all the great advice I fell pretty safe in assuming I've got it pinned down. This week my evenings after work will be dedicated to getting this Explorer on the road.

Back