cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
What's up guys...anybody got an idea?

I have a 200amp alternator and will be putting in an auxilliary battery tomorrow. I am planning on getting a yellow top deep cycle...I was told that's the best choice for running the 2 Xtant amps, winch and fogs.

I can only locate a 90amp isolator.

It's my understanding that the isolator should match the alternator amperage??? Is that correct or can I get away with a 90amp isolator or will I have problems with the 90amp isolator??

Anybody?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stinger makes a 200 amp isolator, very nice might I add... available @ ebay, a local retailer, or....

Thanks much!

I'm gonna look into them and see if I can get one locally...I'm going upstate and I'm trying to get it all done before Saturday morn...

At least now I know they exist, cause Autozone was telling me to run the 90amp isolator.

Those 200amp isolators cost loot! Well they don't cost much really, but in comparison to a 120amp the price jump is 4X more.

I picked up a 120amp cheap today.

Question is- does the isolator really have to match the output amperage of the alternator?

Or- could you use it as long as the draw doesn't exceed the isolators rating?

In other words as long as I don't pull more than 120amps through the isolator would it work?

Here's the scenario-

1 Starting (Primary) Battery

1 Auxilliary Battery

1 200 amp alternator

1 120 amp Isolator

Winch, 2 amps and fogs on the Aux battery.

Starting and normal functions on the Starting (Primary) battery.

Will this work or do I actually need to go out and spend $200 and some change for the 200 amp Isolator?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bump!

Anybody? Any thoughts on if that'll work?

how much are u gonna be running? and u have to rember that a 200 amp alternator only put out like 120 at idle so if u do a lot of city drivin you'll be fine......... and i doubt that your gonna be running 80+ amp current all the time........... but it all depends on how much your gonna be running and the size wire your useing

but if i was u i would get a 200 amp isolater with a 200 amp circut breaker before the isolater

On the Starting Battery I'll only be running the standard accessories and the HID conversion headlamps...they pull less than the factory bulbs, I think.

On the Auxillary Battery I'll be running everything else- a pair of Fogs, winch will be hooked up, 2 Xtant amps and the pump for my air horns.

I was hoping to get away with the 120amp isolator for a while.

The amps both have 30amp fuses, air horns 20amp fuse, fogs, 20amp fuse (I think), winch- no fuse- direct to the battery.

What are you going to use to mount the winch? Did you find some kind of grille guard or front reciever?

Back