Battery warning light turning on and off.. bad alternator? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery warning light turning on and off.. bad alternator?

Alternators can be finicky when they start having problems.

I had two that were just fine up to 2000 rpm's and then they would quit charging. Drop the speed back down to 2000 and they kicked back in and were fine again.

Hopefully they did find the problem and it is taken care of for you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are correct. Alternators and starters both can be finicky. If I need to replace (myself) I usually get REMANUFACTURED not rebuilt as they are not the same. Newer cars makes getting to the parts difficult so it can take some time and I only want to do the job once. Rebuilt tends to be dicey and increases the chances of doing it a second time. In the case of Ford vehicles, I usually get Ford remanufactured especially with 24 months- unlimited miles warranty.

I will update the thread in a few weeks and let everyone know how things look (assuming I’m not back before then).

I also get frustrated when searching a forum like this, see a thread that has my issue, and the OP never returns to tell the board what happened, what worked, what didn’t, etc.

When folks spend the time to try and troubleshoot an issue, it makes it better for everyone when the thread has a beginning and end.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I learned quite a bit along the way.

It is always nice to have a complete conclusion.

I will update the thread in a few weeks and let everyone know how things look (assuming I’m not back before then).

I also get frustrated when searching a forum like this, see a thread that has my issue, and the OP never returns to tell the board what happened, what worked, what didn’t, etc.

When folks spend the time to try and troubleshoot an issue, it makes it better for everyone when the thread has a beginning and end.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I learned quite a bit along the way.
Agree 100%. I've sent many PMs to many members that never bothered to follow up asking for updates. In several cases, the member's thread starting post was also the last.

Peter

It's been 2 weeks, and no return of the battery warning light.

This problem looks like it has been solved. I will post any updates I have to this thread if necessary, but I hope that won't be necessary.

Cheers!

So I have been battling similar issue. Replaced Battery and alternator (twice) get recurring battery warning light. I am thinking I have weak or corroded wire. What drives my theory is that the alternator is putting out voltage in correct range. Then it will drop out for a bit and then works fine. However at high speed, I get zero errors at all. Low speed,35-45Mph, the alert will pop-up. I hit okay. Battery idiot light illuminates and shortly thereafter goes out. I am thinking I got connected wire but it is degraded enough that at low speed, it can’t overcome the Ohm deficiency. My plan take to Ford and ask them to Ohm out the harness or replace the harness outright on my 2012 Exp 2.0,

cheers

David

It's been 2 weeks, and no return of the battery warning light.
This problem looks like it has been solved. I will post any updates I have to this thread if necessary, but I hope that won't be necessary.

Cheers!
been

^^David, did you reset the BMS (Battery Management System) and let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours after you replaced the battery? This is in the Owner's Manual. Not saying that is your problem.

Peter

^^David, did you reset the BMS (Battery Management System) and let the vehicle sit undisturbed for 8 hours after you replaced the battery? This is in the Owner's Manual. Not saying that is your problem.

Peter
Yes had Ford reset the BMS, also installed new battery and retested fine.

Yes had Ford reset the BMS, also installed new battery and retested fine.
What about letting it sit undisturbed for 8 hours.
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the BMS
requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to
relearn the new battery state of charge.

Peter

What about letting it sit undisturbed for 8 hours.
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the BMS
requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to
relearn the new battery state of charge.

Peter
I didn’t charge it but it did sit for an entire week, undisturbed, no door opening etc.

I didn’t charge it but it did sit for an entire week, undisturbed, no door opening etc.
Thanks for the reply. If you take it to the dealer please keep us in the loop if they find an issue so it may help others.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. If you take it to the dealer please keep us in the loop if they find an issue so it may help others.

Peter
So I am still holding off taking the Explorer to the dealership for more convenient time.

I am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the connections to the alternator and compressor? I have noticed it is taking a bit for the compressor to kick in. If both connections come off the same harness, then that could lend merit to the harness being the culprit. If that is the case, then how much harness are we talking about?

Any information appreciated.

So I am still holding off taking the Explorer to the dealership for more convenient time.

I am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the connections to the alternator and compressor? I have noticed it is taking a bit for the compressor to kick in. If both connections come off the same harness, then that could lend merit to the harness being the culprit. If that is the case, then how much harness are we talking about?

Any information appreciated.
So just following up here. Along with the other issues noted, the truck seemed to idle rough, not a lot, but you could notice a jitter in the RPM gauge. Small but noticeable.

Took it to dealership and I had to eat crow. Right off the bat, they said it was generator. I said ‘BS, I changed it’. They called Hotline, pinned out the harness verified it was good and said you need a new generator. Replaced and ALL of the problems have resolved. I can only suspect that the OEM generator had been going bad over the last two years. It was one time, I was happy to eat Crow.

I think you meant 'Alternator'. Ford last used generators in 1964. ;)

Peter

Back