Bed extender and Bed cover compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bed extender and Bed cover compatibility?

cz413

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02, Sport Trac
I'm looking to buy a bed extender and bed tonneau cover.

What years fit a 2002?

I see a few 2006+ for sale, but never first gen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001-05 ONLY. Actually bed extenders from F-150 SuperCrews and stepsides also work, but I'm not sure what years. I have one from an F150, but I know nothing about the truck it came from. The one I have is black and a different design from my ST extenders, but it fits.

The F-150 bed extenders are the correct width but slightly longer. If you have the factory bed cover with the F-150 extender it hits when flipping or at least it did on mine.

The F150 extender I have doesn't seem any longer than the ST extender, but the uprights need to be moved a little bit to line up with the indentations in the tailgate they're supposed to rest in. I didn't have the factory cover when I used it, but I do now. I'll have to check if it flips without interference. On one hand it seems logical that the F150 extender is longer, but some years/models use the same tailgate as the ST. I suppose the mounting points could be different though.

The F150 extender will not flip into the Sport Trac bed with the factory hard tonneau installed with its rear half flipped over.

I did a write up on how to cut 1.75" off of the ends of the tubes to make it the same size as the ST extenders. Then you can flip the bed extender with the factory bed cover.

101_2757.JPG

The black one is supposedly from an F150. I bought it off Craigslist, sight unseen for $20. The seller brought it to me at work and I never saw the truck it came from. She was in a hurry to get to her job, so I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. It does flip over with the rear of the factory cover open. You can see it has 2 fewer uprights, is a different shape, and has different locking pins. I'd forgotten it's also about 1/2" narrower than the ST, but will easily spread to lock in place. Now that I'm reminded of that, I'm going to transfer the uprights with the locking pins to my other ST extender that's missing a pin. I like these lever operated pins. The center uprights need to be moved inward to line up with the indentations in the tailgate so the locking pins line up a little better, but it will work as is. I found an extender a week after I bought my '02 ST, and bought the F150 extender for my '01 ST just because, why not for $20? Then I got the ST extender in this pic with the bed I swapped onto the '01 last month.

The F150 extender will not flip into the Sport Trac bed with the factory hard tonneau installed with its rear half flipped over.
I discovered this, TOO. The G1 style bed extender hits the locking mounts of the hard tonneau when trying to flip it and over.

Back