• Register Today It's free!

Belt or Pully?

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
A few days ago I noticed a strange noise coming from the X. It's not a squeak or squeal, it's more like waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It comes from the front right portion of the engine bay, close to the alternator.

I check the belt tensioner and there is zero play in it so I don't think that's the problem. The alternator is also charging just fine so there is no problems there.

Now the question, could be be just the belt? It does not really have a high pitched squeal like a belt. It does not make this sound all the time, it's off and on. But when it is making the sound it does get louder with RPM.

What do you guys think, belt or perhaps the bearings in the alternator pully are shot? I would think if it were bearing the sound would be constant. I am hoping it's not the alternator pully bearings, I don't want to spend the $$$$ on a new alternator when mine is chargine fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the radiator fan, i have a 2000 Sport with 65,000 miles and its quite loud in the engine bay, especially with the heater running

This just started, it's definatly not the fan. The problem didn't start until it got really cold the other night (8 degrees) so could related.

hmm.....well go out to the parts store, they make some stuff i think that its called belt dressing, put that on there and see if it stops

it might not be the belt or the alt., could be your ac compressor maybe too, i havent had a problem like this before so im just shooting out options of what it could be

I will probably replace the belt once it warms up, it's cheap and not that hard to replace. For some reason I just don't think it's the belt.

I was hoping maybe someone on the forum had the same problem. :(

You can usually tell if its a belt or pulley by the frequency. If the sound is hauling ass.. its probably a pulley. But if it sounds like its in tune with every whole rotation of the belt.. then you got it.. belt. You can usually watch it too. Mark something on the belt and then turn the engine on. If the mark is in the same place everytime the sound occurs.. you got it.. :D

check the fan belt tensioner itself. Look at the seam where it the two parts of the circle are attached. If this seam is not even, you need a new fan belt tensioner. I just had to have mine done.

Back