belt question 93-94 limited

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
planning on puttin on a 130 amp alternator on my 92 x.
getting one from autozone and i was planning on changing my belt at the same time since i'll be fiddling with it anyways. so anway, i was curious if that new alternator would require a different size belt so i had them look it up at autozone, and he said that the belt for the 93-94 limited explorer with a 130 amp alternator is 3 inches longer than one for a 92 with a 95 amp one on.
Does anyone know why this belt is that way? is there something extra on the LIMITED explorer that adds 3 inches?

thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are both pulleys the same diameter?

If the pulleys on the 2 alts are the same, then don't worry about it, the belt will be the same length. The guy may have had a brain fart and seen the difference between a truck with a/c and one without. I had that happen to me, the guy at Autozone said I needed a shorter belt than I really did cause my a/c didn't show up in his computer database.

i dunno, he clicked that both had a/c so that couldn't be it.
he said that on the 93-94 limited they could have built it differently or added something.....

i'll just buy the bigger belt, incase. If it doesn't work i'll run it back to autozone and get the smaller one, cause i'm replacing the belt either way.

thanks
ryan

I couldn't be sure, but is there a chance the added size of the stator may have the alternator centreline higher in the mounting saddle?

the alternator should fit almost exactly if not exactly like the stock one did, because others have done this, and had it work with no flaws.

all help is appericated though!!

I got an alt from mr. alternator and the pulley on the new one is significantly smaller than the stock one. Now my engine has this ticking sound when it is idling. Would like to know what it is, though it has not caused any problems. Just an annoyance...

Odd sounds are one of the few ways your car has of telling you something is amiss..... you wont know if it's serious or not until you know what it is.....

Nothing more exasperating than having something break a long way from home just after you maxed out your mastercard. Priceless, indeed...

OTOH, there's nothing more exasperating than someone insisting you fix their car this morning because they leave on vacation at noon...... yeah, been making that noise for 7 or 8 months, now.....

I may be a little (let's make that more than a little) **** about my rides, but it just grates my nerves to drive something knowing it has a problem - worst part is that it doesn't matter how small..... a creak, a tick, an intermitent something..... anyone else have this trouble?

My motor makes so many strange noises you'd probably think it was gonna blow up any second! I've gotten used to them though and can now distinguish between "normal" ticks, rattles, and bangs and "bad" ticks, rattles, and bangs.

Ah, the fun of a tuner motor!

I have that alt belt ticking and the elusive pinging, but other than that my engine noises are little, knock on wood...

Back