Benefits of P235/75R16's over 70R16's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Benefits of P235/75R16's over 70R16's?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Time for new tires on my 2002 XLT. I read good things about the Bridgestone AT REVO 2's.

I see that on a stock Explorer with no lifts I can use either a P235/70R16 (OEM) or go to a P235/75R16.

Benefits or not going to the 75's?

Mostly on road in the Northeast but a little mild off roading when hunting.

thanks,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No benefit, unless the slightly taller profile is important, or selection and pricing is better with the 75 series depending on brand.
The 9/10 inch larger diameter will slightly decrease low end and RPM, and increase highway speed by 3.1% on your speedometer.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

You have 16's on your XLT? I thought the XLT jumped you to 17's as the stock tire for that package. None the less, if you go to the P235/75R16's you will need to buy 5 since your spare is going to (or should) match the tires you have on the ground right now. Our Explorer 4x4 systems are very finicky about tire size. If you ever have a need to put your spare on you will have lots of fun getting it home with the 4x4 jumping in and out all the way with one tire of a different size.

^ Good point! Showing vehicle specs always helps. Hint. ;)

I have an XLT and it has the 235/75R16s on it...and everywhere I checked, it showed the 16s as the base "option" for the XLT and the 17s as the upgrade.

Sport Trac's with 4:10 rear differentials came with 255/70-16 (30") tires, and 3:73 ratios were 235/70-16 (29")

You guys are absolutely correct, my fault, I should check and see what's actually on the truck. I just went by what the salesman said were on it when he gave me the estimate. I will check tonight what they actually are and report back.

Thanks for the heads up, especially about the spare.

Well, I'm not as chronologically challenged as I thought, it's an 2002 XLT, they are indeed the original tires, and they are P235/70R16's.

I guess I'll stick with the same size rather than spend the extra money on the spare.

thanks,

Rob

Back