Bent my back hatch!

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Well, I messed up big time. Didn't notice the snow shovel leaning against the back bumper when I slammed the back hatch lid down (always needed to so it would latch) Sprung it on the passenger side, about an inch gap at the midline of the hatch door lining up with the side. Going to find a LOT of snow inside tomorrow (blizzard warning and heavy snow forecast! Great timing for sure) Anyone ever successfully unbend a hatch door? Or could a body shop do it? Somehow the back glass wasn't affected fortunately. Not sure I'd get a good replacement for it around here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks !!
Easiest way is a brandused hatch

That sucks !!
Easiest way is a brandused hatch
From a junkyard you mean? Not a lot of non rusty 2nd gen parts around here. But..haven't started searching yet. Can't manage the removal/replacement right now, went and got a shoulder injury.

If it's shut do not open it
Yes junkyard hatch
could bounce on it a little Bend it back
it's bent right behind the hinges on the hatch side

If it's shut do not open it
Yes junkyard hatch
could bounce on it a little Bend it back
it's bent right behind the hinges on the hatch side

Thanks for the ideas and link! The steel shovel handle was inside about a foot or less from the edge of the hatch lid. So I must have decreased the bend in the hatch. I didn't notice the new gap in the middle passenger side outside of the hatch right away. Top and bottom still seem to line up. Sure wish I hadn't done that, LOL

Look on car-part.com for a used one. May even find the same color. Shipping shouldn't be bad as it is basically 1 pallet space in a trailer and could ride on top of something else

I live in the Twin Cities and have yet to find a good used rear hatch at the local JY's that isn't rusty. We're also staring down this big snowstorm tonight/tomorrow and if it were me, I'd try stuffing rags in that gap to prevent snow from blowing inside.

I live in the Twin Cities and have yet to find a good used rear hatch at the local JY's that isn't rusty. We're also staring down this big snowstorm tonight/tomorrow and if it were me, I'd try stuffing rags in that gap to prevent snow from blowing inside.
Yep, we have that in common! We seldom get the powdery snow, maybe 8" so far. Can't tell cause of the drifting. My Ex is staying put till the weekend! Best wishes with your snow 'event'!

Sorry to hear about that, things happen. I'd try my luck on a junkyard one if theres a good one, when ya can since ya did mention the shoulder injury, don't push it. For now, could always try using a tarp over the rear when parked: tie it to the rack up top, hook its sides to the fenders, and bottom under rhe bumper or under the truck, just avoid the exhaust. When ya need to leave, remove it and throw it in the back via the glass hatch or doors, dont open the hatch itself right now. As said, aint a permanent fix, but it works temporarily till ya can see about a new one or ask a nearby bodyshop what it'll cost.

Try sticking a 2x4 piece in the gap at the bottom of the hatch. Rest the hatch against and give it a few kicks. See if it bends it back straight enough to seal. I have to slam mine because the body isn't straight side to side due to a off road flop. Every few years I need to bend the hatch so it sits even side to side. I use a piece of 2x4 and push on it.

SOLVED!
Would you believe....I hadn't opened that hatch door, on advice which I thought wise! But finally I had to make a run for supplies that have to go in my cargo bag in the back. So I risked it, loaded it up, and voila! Not only did it shut and latch, but it aligned itself perfectly! The gap is GONE!
Also I renamed my Ex, Shamrock. Cause it's a nice green, and a self fixing truck is lucky. Bought a scratch off ticket, that was Not lucky. I'm simply tickled!:chug:

Self healing

Back