Best all around speakers for stock locations... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best all around speakers for stock locations...

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
Alright I'm thoroughly redoing my system (because I'm tired of hearing the system that I PUT IN MY BROTHER'S CAR BEFORE IT WAS HIS) and I need to know what people have had success with as far as replacing the factory 6"x8" speakers with. I have been looking around and I've found 2 satisfactory choices:
1) MB Quart DKD 157 5"x7"
2) JL Audio XR570-CX 5"x7"

I am beginning to favor the JLs, even though I absolutely love the MB Quarts that I had in my old car (now my brother's) because of their clarity. I would basically like to know what speakers they have been happy with when replacing the stock 6"x8" speakers that I'm pretty sure come in all Explorers. I have a '95 and my mom has a '99 and we both have the same size. But anyways, let's go, I wanna hear it.... heh heh

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 hp )

After Christmas:
Superchip
NR Auto EL-Glo gauge faces
Stereo System

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both the JL and the MBs are quality speakers. Personally I would go with the MBs over the the JL. The MBs are known to have excellent Mids and High. My friend has a set and he loves them. I have the Boston Acoustics and they sound great. Anyone one of these speakers will give great sound.

Oh yea, and keep in mind that I will have subs so the speakers do not have to be able to really produce sound below 60hz cause the subs are gonna take care of everything from 150hz right on down to about 25hz. Basically, I want the loudest, clearest (pretty much best) speakers that ANY company can offer to fill my stock locations without modifying them to fit 6.5" circular speakers. So....................let's hear it ladies and gents....

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

After Christmas:
Superchip
Stereo System

Originally posted by mikeymed8
If you want, you can go with 5-1/4" or 6-1/2". It's simple to do. All you have to do is make an overlay out of MDF. I did it for my friend. Check it out.

http://www.180degreecustomz.com/jtnewinstall.asp

Do what he said. Get a pair of quality components and mount them on the plates.

ever hear of OZ audio? check em out, theyre good, lil pricy though.

of the 2 you picked, i dont know anything about the jl's, so id go with the mb quartz's.

good luck man, sounds like youre gonna have some pretty good sound.

I think I'm gonna go with the JL Audio XR570-CX speakers. Found a place that sells em for $190 ($315 retail) and they can handle the amp that I have now. They take something like 70 watts continuous and 140 max or somethin. Anybody got any experience with these speakers? Heard em? Plusses minuses? LEAVE ONE....peace

Oh, and by the way fellas....CHEERS TO NO MORE FINAL EXAMS AND THE COMING HOLIDAY SEASON :chug:

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

After Christmas:
Superchip
Stereo System

That's a great deal...go for it

why not infinity perfect components??????
or will the $ make you go :eek:

Originally posted by 5.9zjman
why not infinity perfect components??????
or will the $ make you go :eek:

I recomended components in the front as well but I guess he has his mind set on oval coxials. Perfect components go around $300, don't they? I know they can handle up to 100W RMS & 400W peak :eek: But If money was no objective, I would say Focal Utopia lol

if money was no object, why not spend the $7000 for a set of 5 1/4" rainbow components:)

7 grand for speakers. That is disgusting.

yes it is...
and they're pretty damn ugly too. but i've heard they sound awesome (i haven't actually had the chance to hear them in person).

Originally posted by leenjen
if money was no object, why not spend the $7000 for a set of 5 1/4" rainbow components:)
lol I could never spend that much on a pair of car speakers even if I were a millionaire.

Back