• Register Today It's free!

Best intake for me?

aeaglenfitch

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mounty 4.0 SOHC 4x4
so im planning on getting a cold air intake system, i've read the threads and still have some questions.

i go trail riding and muddin every now and then and when i do my engine bay gets soaked, so i figure my best bet would be to get an intake that's enclosed like the the Volant kit instead of one thats just hangin out in the open like the k&n would i be correct?

i wanted the k&n but from the looks of it, it's not the best, you have to drill holes and stuff. am i correct?

which filter is the best? can i still run a k&n filter in the volant box if i go that route?

how does the volant sound and how about the power gains? i already have a flowmaster 50 suv with 2.5 in. pipes.

i guess im really thinkin about getting the volant. it's kinda spendy huh. anybody know where i can get it for the best price? i checked ebay and they dont have it for my 98 4.0 sohc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've looked and looked and looked and looked at intakes and there isn't much price variance from place to place, maybe 2 or 3 bucks...10 at the most. Amsoil filters are supposed to be the best and you can use on in the volant intake. Personally I can't tell ya power gains because...I built my own intake and I never feel much gains, and I probably did a crap job building my intake and hurt performance more then anything. MPG is up so I doubt it though but maybe...

yeah, mpg gains are always welcome. any other input?

I don't know that you would need an enclosed intake, I don't think everyone on here that goes wheelin has one.....and I think the amsoil filter might be water resistant, I beleive K&N is pretty much water proof....water will go through if your pouring buckets on it. You might be able to just do a MAC which is the other popular one and a K&N. Thing with K&N's are they dirty MAF sensors with the oil.

I have a K&N. After this freak rainstorm one road was flooded. Girl in a taurus got hydrolocked. Alarm siren zip tied to the bottom of my brake master cylinder got water in it but the intake was fine......

well i just ordered the volant, i'm sure it'll work out fine

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and where'd you get it?

well i ordered it from fasterthanthem.com for 267.00 shipped but i got an email from them today saying they were out of stock and it was a mistake so it was refunded so im getting one off ebay and i offered the guy 267.00 for it and he's asking 277.00 so we'll see what happens

Back