Best Intake/Exhaust Mods help MPG | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Intake/Exhaust Mods help MPG

not too damn bad. i just joined here tonight. been lurking for a few weeks thought i would start posting now. as soon as i saw that rocket name i knew who you were. i just picked up a explorer a month ago or so. ive always wanted one to play in the mud and finally found one with a good price tag.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not too damn bad. i just joined here tonight. been lurking for a few weeks thought i would start posting now. as soon as i saw that rocket name i knew who you were. i just picked up a explorer a month ago or so. ive always wanted one to play in the mud and finally found one with a good price tag.

I am jealous... After the craptastic snow storm we had the other day I really want a damn 4x4. Trying to work a possible deal on a 95 Tacoma for a killer price. We will see how/if that works out.

I am jealous... After the craptastic snow storm we had the other day I really want a damn 4x4. Trying to work a possible deal on a 95 Tacoma for a killer price. We will see how/if that works out.

if it makes you feel any worse i picked up my explorer for 500 dollars. i was at work on time 8 am friday thanks to her. its a great truck and best 500 i ever spent.

if it makes you feel any worse i picked up my explorer for 500 dollars. i was at work on time 8 am friday thanks to her. its a great truck and best 500 i ever spent.

THAT IS IT!?!?? Damn that is a screaming deal! Was there anything wrong with it?

BTW, I am coming to your house tonight and stealing it. I will leave the $500 on your porch. :D

THAT IS IT!?!?? Damn that is a screaming deal! Was there anything wrong with it?

BTW, I am coming to your house tonight and stealing it. I will leave the $500 on your porch. :D

we should take this to pm dont wanna ruin a thread

your right, if certain parameters are not met the pcm will not command the tcc to lock. however the pcm will most certainly set a 1870 if the tcc is commanded and there is no rpm drop or if the engine rpm and the tss do not read within a few percent. these things get very clouded when aftermarket tuners and chips are involved. as they can change the parameters for when codes are set and manipulate the readings sent to the processor.

Well, I may be off base, but it is a good thing to check this anyway.

My truck would go for miles--days even with T/C not locking,( 2700 rpm's at 70mph) and no CEL, or OD light at all.
My PCM is stock--maf tuner just "Rapes" the maf signal.

11.8 MPG with a guy trying to get more--tells me something is up.
Can we have the guy check this, before we argue about it?

Uuuum, your going to make more than just 380rwhp in your Cobra with that KB 1.5, unless you don't plan to run an IC... I forget, but is KB offering that kit in a big bore version now??? Are you a member on ChicagoSVT.com? If so, what is your screen name?

nope, no IC for now. Only going to run 8-9 PSI due to stock internals so I think 380rwhp is a pretty close guess. my name is Red98CobraStang on both SVTPerformance and ChicagoSVT. I dont frequent ChiacagSVT that much tho. Im on SVTPerformance alot.

Yes, they are offering the kit in a 2.1L version, which I wont be getting. I'm buying my kit used off a member of SVTP. Im content with the power the 1.5kb makes.

Ok
I would like to know something.
Go for a drive--get it up to 70mph and hold it steady there.
How many rpm's does the tach read at steady 70 mph on level road?
I want to be sure the torque converter is locking.

I know the TC is locking. It actually locks up early (around 35-37mph) I believe its supposed to lock up around 40-43mph?

I can feel the "false shift" and see the RPMS drop when it does lock. When I press the gas pedal, the RPMS do not change, but the vehicle increases speed until it downshifts when I press the pedal down too far.

also, what should the RPMS read at 70? I think last time I was in the car it was around 2000-2200 (dont know offhand). I'm postive tho it wasnt 2700.....

thanks in advance again guys.

ttt. need some help guys. 100 miles and I'm on half a tank......

I would get a good useful scanner tool, to monitor your progress.
You need one that will monitor fuel trims--

I have been playing with a borrowed one, for the price I recommend it as a first scanner
60 bux, but it does need a computer-laptop to work

www.scantool.net

Do you have this?

nope, no IC for now. Only going to run 8-9 PSI due to stock internals so I think 380rwhp is a pretty close guess. my name is Red98CobraStang on both SVTPerformance and ChicagoSVT. I dont frequent ChiacagSVT that much tho. Im on SVTPerformance alot.

Yes, they are offering the kit in a 2.1L version, which I wont be getting. I'm buying my kit used off a member of SVTP. Im content with the power the 1.5kb makes.

I hear ya, thats cool. Yeah, 380rwhp in a car that is at light as your 98 Cobra will be plenty enough to have some fun with. If your getting a good deal on a used KB 1.5 then that sounds like a good plan to go with. If a person just looks in the right areas... modularfords.com, SVTP and the Corral there are some killer deals that are up in there sometimes!

I hear ya, thats cool. Yeah, 380rwhp in a car that is at light as your 98 Cobra will be plenty enough to have some fun with. If your getting a good deal on a used KB 1.5 then that sounds like a good plan to go with. If a person just looks in the right areas... modularfords.com, SVTP and the Corral there are some killer deals that are up in there sometimes!

Im getting the complete KB kit for 1k :)

Do you have this?

where I used to go to school for automotive (Elgin Community College) we had all the tools needed. I graduated and I'm not sure if my instructor will let me use the scan tools. Ive used it plenty of times on my cobra to check fuel trims, IAC counts, EGR, yadayada.

I'm going to head over there in a bit.

I believe the shop I used to work at had one aswell. It was a snapon scantool, (the red rectangular one) and I think it reads fuel trims... I think Ill take a trip over there too.

Im getting the complete KB kit for 1k :)

Ooooh, good deal! Shoot, i don't even have a 98 cobra and I would still buy that kit for that price just to coax one of my buddies into letting me install it into one of their cars.

Ooooh, good deal! Shoot, i don't even have a 98 cobra and I would still buy that kit for that price just to coax one of my buddies into letting me install it into one of their cars.

I cant wait to slap on my 315/30/18 BFG drags and see what 360ft/lbs of tq feels like from 2000rpm and up......

I cant wait to slap on my 315/30/18 BFG drags and see what 360ft/lbs of tq feels like from 2000rpm and up......

You will like it, but I suspect you will want more. We ALL want more! I think it was about 6 years ago when I told myself I would be satisfied with 300hp. Then a little later I said 400... For a while I told myself 550rwhp and about 6 months ago it had changed to 600rwhp. Now I want 700rwhp. It is a never ending cycle. Good luck with the bug bro. ;)

lol, thanks. I know, I'm going to try my damndest to be content with 400+/-rwhp/tq. I think it will do for a month or sooooooo....

Back