Best LSD (not locker) for 35" tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best LSD (not locker) for 35" tires

Hellbender

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Jeep TJ
I'm a JEEP guy, but I'm putting a 8.8 from a 97 Explorer in my rig.

The OX locker will not be out for the 8.8 for another year and I don't like ARB's, and my wife won't drive a full locker, SOOO...

What is the best Limited slip for the 8.8?? Here are the choices:

Tru- Trac--No tires over 32" :(.

Eaton--seems the best, large tires OK, adjustable preload on clutches, but I can find no feedback form someone who has one. I also know they had some problems and are redesigning them.

Auborn--seems OK, like Eaton.

Trac-Lock--how well do they work with large tires? Most people don't like them on the Jeep board, but that's in a D35 or 44.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a Auburn Pro (not the regular one).. in mine, and killed in about 15k miles. I was running 33" BFG AT/ko's.

I'd go with a clutch plate based one, simply because you can replace them.

are you planning alot of offroad with this jeep, or a little offroad and more highway? I've heard of a differential you might want to investigate. It's called GOLD TRAC. I've seen it in stock cars out at the tracks, but thought maybe it could be used for offroad/highway type situations. with this setup, the tire without conact gets no power from the drive train. It's hard to explain, but essentially, if you raised a tire off the ground, the other side tire would get all the power. not like the open diff, where the tire you lifted would just spin. it's a costly setup, at around $2000.00 for one unit, but I would think that it could be used in both front and rear diff.s. problem is, I can't find anyone who's tried it in an offroad application. the company says they would work as well as a locker. but It's just a thought anyway.

Welcome Hellbender. I'll give you two answers; one you asked for and one you didn't.

I finally replaced my factory installed TracLoc at 51,000 miles. You can click on "Gerald's Truck" in my signature line to see my vehicle. I have run it fairly hard not only on local runs but also to Moab and Colorado trails. My vehicle has consistently astounded people (especially you Jeepers Dead Link Removed ) who have seen what it could do.

I attribute some of that to the LSD's performance. One of the members has TracLoc front and rear and can go nearly anywhere with it.

I am running 33" tires, not 35", but the TracLoc has performed surprisingly well, and when I removed it at 51k miles it was still working and had wear surface remaining on the clutch plates. I am sure 35" tires will wear it harder and possibly be less effective, but then your vehicle weighs at least a ton less than mine, so maybe the performance evens out to similar results between our two different situations.

Tom Wilk is a member here that has an Auburn and it has served him well. I believe it is the regular (not Pro). You might search for posts made by him on the Auburn. The Pro is tighter and evidently wears out much quicker, especially if used hard like TDavis used his.

That's the question you wanted answered. Now I'll give you one that you didn't. You say your wife won't drive a full locker. This site has a good "search" feature. It's one of the buttons at the upper right of the screen. Do a search for "Powertrax" and read our experiences with the new NoSlip locker. My vehicle is a daily driver and that is what I just installed awhile back at 51,000 miles. I am telling you that it took me only about three turns to get used to it and the thing is very nearly totally transparent back there.

Unless I purposely hit the gas at the exact instant right before I initiate a turn, it remains unlocked during the turn on hard wet or dry surface. It doesn't chirp, or click; it doesn't do anything. I have driven it in rain with passengers and no one was aware they were in a vehicle with a locker because it didn't do anything that raised their curiosity. On the trail it does exactly what it is designed to do and fully locks the axle.

Since most of our vehicles are daily drivers and not "trailer queens" this locker is rapidly becoming the favorite among those of us that are just now getting in the market for a locker. You will find universal praise on this site for its effectiveness and manners. It is an amazing new technology for a locker and very "street friendly". I strongly recommend that you give it some consideration.

Hope that helped.

I have the Auburn, and its still going strong. I have about 25,000 on it, mostly driving to work and out to places like Moab, but some trail riding. :) I'm running 32" tires.

Another board member, RangerX has had his Auburn for a long time now, and last I heard it was working fine. If I'm not mistaken, he's running 35"ers.

I can't remember who, but somebody here just put an eaton on their Explorer. If he sees this, I'm sure he will respond.

Thanks for the input guys,
I've also heard good things about the Torsen, but don't know about tire size rating.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Yeah, I've had my Auburn for 100,000 miles now, and it still works great. I run 37's onroad and 35's off.

Back