Best option to go with for lifting stock 03 Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best option to go with for lifting stock 03 Ex?

Ericb3

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hi guys, I've been looking at all the pictures in the 3rd gen pics section, and I want to lift my ex. It,s a 2003 XLT RWD. I'm also going with suspension lift, not body lift. Originally I was going to go with Traxda's (formerly Truxxx I think) 2.25"rear-1.5"front leveling kit, but if I am thinking about this right, couldn't I also use Rancho QuickLift as well to get a greater amount of lift? I am currently running the stock XLT 17" wheels with 31" Nitto Terra Grapplers. The only mod that will be done any time soon, and probably the only thing to be done before this, will be the addition of 2" hubcentric wheel spacers.

So, the way I see it is that my options are:
-BTF
-Rancho
-Traxda

If there is anything else out there, or a combination of any of those that would give clearance for 33-35" tires, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks y'all!
:usa:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the tires would be 11.5-12.0 inches wide, so I figure the wheel spacers will give enough clearance back there with 16x8" Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler series wheels. Will this wide of a tire work?..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be sure to budget for some BTF upper control arms, especially if combining Rancho quicklifts and lift spacers. I know you said a body lift is not in your plans, but it really is a good, inexpensive way to get more clearance for big tires without any of the drawbacks of excessive suspension lift. You could fit 33's with a 3" body lift and traxda spacers. You may not need wheel spacers for 33's if the new wheels you are considering have 4.5" of backspace.

Well, the main reason a body lift is not in my plans is because I have already taken the running boards off and so you can see a lot of the frame below the body. This won't be covered by a suspension lift I know, but I don't like the look of how much you can see already. And with the body lift, the frame would just show more. If I did decide to go with the body lift before suspension, then what brand would you recommend? And it would definitely be a 3 inch.

Well, the main reason a body lift is not in my plans is because I have already taken the running boards off and so you can see a lot of the frame below the body. This won't be covered by a suspension lift I know, but I don't like the look of how much you can see already. And with the body lift, the frame would just show more. If I did decide to go with the body lift before suspension, then what brand would you recommend? And it would definitely be a 3 inch.

Well you can always put the running boards back on or get some aftermarket tube steps, they hide the frame pretty well if it bothers you. Lots of people use the Performance Accessories kit #883 , but I recommend the Summit Racing kit 7888300. Same exact thing, just comes in a different box and is about $40 cheaper.

So as I said in the beginning of the thread, the only thing that I have done so far is add the wheel spacers. However, I noticed just the other day that my wheels have a negative camber to them now. It's not too bad up close, but from any distance away it's noticeable. It has not affected the ride as far as I can tell, but do I need to get anything done to fix it? Frankly I'd rather it not have the camber like it does, but if it is not a problem that required fixing then I won't worry about it.

Lifting will exacerbate the camber issues, so figure on camber kits as well. I am certainly not an authority on the subject, but combining Rancho + Truxxx is pushing it as far as the ball joint and CV angles. There are many that have that setup, so get to searching in the modified sub-forum there are tons of threads there and members (such as Ronin ^) with every conceivable setup. Best wishes.

Did you say you have 2 inch spacers, 31s on stock wheels and no lift? Do you have a picture? I was thinking about getting some spacers.

Did you say you have 2 inch spacers, 31s on stock wheels and no lift? Do you have a picture? I was thinking about getting some spacers.

Yep exactly. I'll post some soon, I'm not sure how late I'll be at work tonight.

Keep a close eye on your tire wear. If they start showing wear on the inside its time for an alignment. Might have been off before and just not as noticeable. I use the lifetime alignment service at Firestone....unlimited alignments.

So as I said in the beginning of the thread, the only thing that I have done so far is add the wheel spacers. However, I noticed just the other day that my wheels have a negative camber to them now. It's not too bad up close, but from any distance away it's noticeable. It has not affected the ride as far as I can tell, but do I need to get anything done to fix it? Frankly I'd rather it not have the camber like it does, but if it is not a problem that required fixing then I won't worry about it.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the pictures... Any help on getting them uploaded lol?...

under quick reply bottom right corner, the url has to be photo buck, or somewhere where they are stored at.

Back