• Register Today It's free!

Best tuner for 4.0 v6?

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
I've got my eye on a 3 tune 5star tuner they seem to be amazing but it's also $420 in fine with the pride but I just want to make sure it's the best that $420 can spend , I want to be able to gain mpg so def need a Eco mode I'm thinking 87 octane, a towing mode 89 octane and then want a performance mode at 89 octane , does anyone recommend any tuners for my needs, thanks keep exploring. :exp:

http://5startuning.com/product/1-7015-x4-flash-devices/

kind of expensive just to change some shift points..... any other power gains are seen on the diesel and or forced induction side.... a tuner on a NA engine should never require higher octane fuel

For a current day naturally aspirated engine with no hardware modifications the best tunner is the one you leave on the shelf. The only thing that's worse to blow your money on is a cold air intake.

Theoretically since it's the same engine and trans as is in an '05-'10 base Mustang, there should be a little bit of hp left on the table via tuning as well as better shift points and firmness. You might consider contacting a company like AmericanMuscle.com and see if they can work with your vehicle; they sell SCT and Diablosport handhelds w/ custom tuning for a little bit south of $400.

Just keep in mind that the advertising on these devices, which may state something to the effect of "+20hp/+25tq", while not untrue there is a bit of advertising trickery going on. Typically when a product states a gain of x hp or whatever most of us tend to think of that as being at the top or peak of the rpm range. As is typical with these devices regardless of who's selling them, if you look over the dyno chart you'll see the advertised gains generally in the midrange of the rpm band, like 2500 to 5000. Peak gains are typically 10hp at best for stock or basic bolt-on engines.

Back