Better Gas Milage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better Gas Milage

Myphony69mustang

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
Does anyone have any ideas to get better gas mileage out of my 01 sport trac. I heard sparc plugs but i'm not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autolite or Motorcraft O.E.M. spark plugs, nothing fancy (our trucks don't like them for some reason and it's a waste of money. Clean your (MAF)Mass Air Flow Sensor and (IAC)Idle Air Control Module, new fuel filter, new or clean air filter if washable (K&N, Spectre, etc..).

Check out the link I gave you in the other post and it has all of these easy, cheap, do-it-yourself projects in there.:thumbsup:

If you live close enough to me I'd help you out but I don't seem to have many if any members around my area.

I'll tell ya, you are gonna be my lifesaver, =D, yeah i'm not near pittsburgh i'm a good 5 hours away in South Jersey/Philly.

From what I've seen there's a bunch of members out that way, try and hook up with them so you alays have someone to either wheel with or you can just hang out and learn the in/outs of our trucks by working on them together.

From being on these two sites I've never had to go to a mechanics shop for anything and I wasn't really familair with working on vehicles newer then '86. I was always nervous about the emmissions stuff especially but not anymore.

Autolite or Motorcraft O.E.M. spark plugs, nothing fancy (our trucks don't like them for some reason and it's a waste of money. Clean your (MAF)Mass Air Flow Sensor and (IAC)Idle Air Control Module, new fuel filter, new or clean air filter if washable (K&N, Spectre, etc..).

Check out the link I gave you in the other post and it has all of these easy, cheap, do-it-yourself projects in there.:thumbsup:

What he said. New plugs will help if your old ones are worn. On an '01 I would get new plug wires too if they are original. I like NAPA wires and you get a 7% discount if you belong to AAA and show them your card. Otherwise, proper air in the tires, clean filters air and fuel both, synthetic oil and lubes in the motor, t-case, and axles. I picked up 3 mpg on the highway after adding a Gibson cat-back exhaust, city mpg is no different. On a Gen 1 you can pull the silencer out of the airbox (on Gen 2's the silencer isn't nearly as restrictive). Due to rolling resistance, all-season tires will get better mpg than all-terrains and all-terrains will get better mpg than mud-terrains. Lifts and bigger tires will hurt mpg. Drive slower. Wind resistance is a **** in these things. I can get 22 mpg at 65 mph on a level road, if I speed up to 75-80 it drops to 16-17 mpg.

Back