• Register Today It's free!

better steering

brewdan23

Reaction score
City, State
puyallup,washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
ok i have a 93 sport 2wd manual trans i was just thinking that my steering feels sloppy so i replaced all ball joints bushings and end along with pitman and center link and it still feels a little sloppy so has anyone swaped there box for a rack i would really like some help before i buy parts i cant use? thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They all are sloppy to one degree or another. I hear of people swapping in an F150 gear box. Not sure how much that improves. Rack & pinion I do not think you can swap in cost effectively.
Sounds like you swapped most front end things., How about getting better shocks? Like bilstines, or Rancho's or Skyjacker? Add a steering stabilizer. Change your tires?
We have the same X & honestly I found the steering to be fine. I can throw mine around pretty good & I have all stock stuff. My 3 1st gens all were the same. Of course it's not like my Acura, but it's not supposed to be.

You can't swap in a Rack and Pinion in a TTB suspension - the geometry of the two won't allow it.

As for the ball joints and bushings - did you also replace the ones on the axle and not just the steering (including the ones at the axle's pivot) ?

These (the red ones)
ES-Axel-Pivot_lg.jpg

Check your steering shaft. Pull the plastic protector off where the shaft connects to the steering box and turn the shaft while checking for slop. Mine had a good half inch of slop at the steering wheel. My shaft had one u-joint and one rubber isolator joint, so i went to the junkyard and found one with two rubber joints instead (with no slop) and installed it. It liked binding in turns. It would hit tight spots while turning. So went back to the yard and found another one with two u-joints (again one with no slop). Installed and still loving it, much safer driving on the road now. I think the double rubber isolator liked binding because of my 3 inch body lift. The shafts were only $6.50/ea

thanks for the idea i looked at the joints and that was the problem the ragjoint was torn and the u-joint had a lot of slop in it thanks agian

Back