A Better Steering Extension...Cheap Too! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Better Steering Extension...Cheap Too!

Mascman

Reaction score
City, State
Apollo, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
To end all the problems with modifying a steering extension to fit your vehicle and the problem of steering binding...check this out.

I was using an old 3" body lift I had from an S-10 Blazer. After searching, I found out how to make my bumper brackets...which was as easy as I thought. Now what about the steering? The price of the steering extension from P.A. was $70.00! I paid less than that for the whole body lift!! I read posts where others have had fitment problems with theirs and I decided to lengthen my stock shaft (insert childish giggle here).

steering+shaft.jpg

It is very easy to do but I'll walk you through anyway.

1) Remove the steering shaft.
2) Find the spot where the shaft is round. Mine is a '98 and it is right below the top bolt...I've never seen an older style so I can't say if this will work.
3) Clean the shaft with Scotch-brite and scribe a center line. This is a reference mark to make sure the shaft ends are lined up after welding. I eyeballed mine and now my steering wheel is slightly off center when my tires are straight!
4) Measure the width of the steering shaft. I believe mine was 1"OD. You will need a 3" length of pipe with a 1"ID (or whatever ID will fit your shaft). I used a piece of black pipe easily found at the hardware store. It is much thicker than the shaft tubing.
5) Fully extend the shaft and cut in half in the middle of the round spot. A hacksaw will work.
6) Measure 1/2" back on each piece of shaft and scribe a line. This is the overlap.
7) Insert each piece of shaft into the pipe and weld. Make sure the center line is lined up! I recommend TIG welding...it seems to be the strongest. Pay a professional if you have to...it's your life!

Here is a blueprint...I told you it was easy!
steering+shaft+extension.jpg

The total length of the shaft is only 2" longer than stock.
Looking at the wear marks on the shaft...with a 3" body lift it rides in the stock position. I've been running it for a couple of months now and I have no binding at all.
If you take the lift off you can leave the shaft on because there is enough room to compress it.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of doing this mod. I did buy an extra shaft off PAXTON just in case I flubbed it, but it worked out great.

-ps-
If you are mechanically inclined and want to save money, I suggest buying the '80s style S-10 Blazer kit. The body bolts fit with the exception of the very front and the very back. You'll have to fab your own brackets. Radiator drop down brackets are easily made and the bumper brackets are easy to make also. Follow along with these instructions and you'll save some money!!
http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/

What about your steering extension!?? It seems to me that you go with a new steering joint?? or the joint was before the extension?!?

i want to do a 3 or 4" body lift, but my only problem now is that F*cking steering extension!!

Revised & Improved Steering Extension

I added another u-joint to the shaft so now there are two. This gets rid of any binding problems and has worked great with my 3"BL . I found the joint at http://www.mcmaster.com part #6452K5 . It was around $40 with shipping. Try this link: Dead Link Removed If you look for Dune buggy stuff you could probably get one cheaper. Cut the shaft at the same place in the instructions above. I didn't weld the u-joint...I used bolts that go thorough the joint and through the shaft. I used JB Weld to fill around the ends of the joint. This helps take out a little bit of slop were the shaft goes into the u-joint. It is kind of hard to explain, but if you get the u-joint you will figure it out. Here is a picture:
SteeringJoint.jpg

Oso...how about sending me those plans for your roof rack? I e-mailed you some time ago and didn't hear anything. Hope this helps.

Back