Big antifreeze leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big antifreeze leak

never thought about the lower intake gasket leaking at that location ,i guess so....mine ,is leaking around the weak point on the intake manifold(common area i'm was told) ..theres that one bolt then a over hang thats not got much strengh there..thats where mine does it.it will leak right down past the timeing chain cover along the front of the engine and then drip right on one of the oil pan bolts up front .got to get mine fixed here soon ...of course i keep saying that too ( lol ) .

oh also forgot to add...if it is the lower intake gasket and the engine has over 200k on it you'll need new valve cover gaskets(most likelly brittle and hard),also depending if you take your intake off (lower and upper together as one unit ) you may need new upper intake gaskets. i think that both advance and auto zone sell all together gasket kits for $100 some odd bucks...but you get all of them and dont quote me but i think that when you buy them (felpro's) you are buying the better gasket type material ones instead of their standard gasket materials.

HELP!

so i had a big puddle of fluid under my explorer also!.... i also heard a screeching/whining type noise when i started it up... happened a few times. i have had to put water/coolant in and it has progressively gotten worse. now it leaks ALOT......

i got underneath to see where the fluid was leaking from (based on the puddle) and i couldnt exactly tell BUT i was under the explorer on the diver side and it looked like it was coming from somewhee above the oil filter, i couldnt really see exactly where but it was above the oli filter.....

any ideas or insight?

BTW.... i am NOT NOT NOT a mechanic...... lucky to put the key in the ignition to start the dan thing!... hehehe.

where is the water pump located?... is it near the oil filter area?

PLEASE help....

I reread your post to double check. The oil filter is on the passenger side at the firewall end of the motor.
The only thing that resembles the round botton of an oil filter on the drivers side is the steering box. If you heard skreeching I'd go back to thinking it's the water pump.
Put more antifreeze in it only because green is easier to see than clear water.
The old way of telling if a water pump was going or about to go out was look at the fan and see if it wobbles. Does it?
So were back to take the belt off and turn pulleys

GatorB makes a point about going for the simple things first.
Check your clamps. Check your hoses. If coolant blows out fast a hose is a good possibility. Moving the hose when the motor is warm/hot to see if the volume of discharge increases indicates a bad hose.
DON'T BURN YOUR HAND AND STAY AWAY FROM MOVING PARTS. k?

wow!

garorblazer,.... well brotha you hit it on the nose!..... i cant believe it was was such an easy fix!......

my buddy came over who is a weekend wrench,... we start going throught the engine and he isolated the problem to a bad head gasket.... soooo NOT good news on a saturday morning at that point... so i logg onto the forum and i am casually looking through all the posts and possibility, come across the entry from gatorblazer,.. then i mention it to my buddy... he says... damn i didnt think about that... i know alot of people have used that stuff and never any complaints.... why dont we try that.. so off to autozone we go... about an hour later, after some bar's leak and a new radiator cap in it goes..... wait 24hrs and presto!....

not a drop,.... NO overheating and away we go!..... i cant thank you enough for stepping and and taking the time to make the entry on my post!...... thanks again.... easy fix for 15.00!

off to the next project...... master cylinder and bearings on the driver side!.... but for now.. the old dawg is on the road!

WWWAAAHHHOOOOOO!

Back