biggest tire with 16'' rims??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

biggest tire with 16'' rims???

i plan on getting 16'' cobra r's and i was wondering what the biggest possible tire i can fit on there would be without rubbing or trimming. i have stock 15's with 31's on now and they fit perfect with no rubbing. i'm looking for as big as i can get with the 16'' rims. thanks a ton.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you looking for a stockish sized tire or a street tire?

some of the 4x4 rangers have a 245/75/16 which is close

Originally posted by jimabena74
are you looking for a stockish sized tire or a street tire?

some of the 4x4 rangers have a 245/75/16 which is close

i'd like to actually get bfg at's, so no not a street look. i have pirelli scorpion at's now and they are still an option when i get the 16'' rims. what i'm really looking for is the bfg's on the 16's and having the bfg's as big as i can get to cuto down on the wheel gap. the 31's i have now are perfect. i want the actual height i have now with the 15's and 31's, but in a 16'' rim and ? tire?

Yea the wheels/tires that are optional on the ranger are rather close to what you want. My 245/75/16s are a pretty nice size for no lift. Look real good in my opinion.

EDIT-Go here to see pics of my new tires on my 16" wheels:
my pics
That has some ok pics of the new tires.

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
265/75/16

according to the calculator @ www.4lo.com that equates to a 31.6" tall tire

in reality i guess it might really be a 31" tall tire, but may be an actual inch bigger than the 245/75/16 that equates to being an advertised 30.7" tire

Yea, i always thought the 245/75/16s were the closest to 31s. But you never know. Of course if i wanted to i could supposedly run a 265 with no rubbing at all. I doubt it.

geez, this is tougher than i thought. how am i supposed to know what will fit? i'd love to get the 265's but will they be too big? i know some sports come stock with 16's, anyone with a sport who can tell me the biggest you can fit?

Mine came stock w/ 16s and 255 70 16 tires. I am on my second set of 265 75 16.

I just got a set of MT/Rs. They run 31.8"
Very very little rubbing off road with the TT :D

Originally posted by terdrocket
Mine came stock w/ 16s and 255 70 16 tires. I am on my second set of 265 75 16.

I just got a set of MT/Rs. They run 31.8"
Very very little rubbing off road with the TT :D

so your saying with a TT, i would not have to trim at all or very little and i wouild not rub unless i was doing some off-roading?

Originally posted by alphabets13
so your saying with a TT, i would not have to trim at all or very little and i wouild not rub unless i was doing some off-roading?

yeah, there is rarely any rubbing...the only rubbing I had was with the top of the wheelwell.

i like the paint in the engine bay nice work

well just to answer the general question, mickey thompson makes a 34" tire that fits on the 16" stock rims, but of course I also have wheel spacers and lifts.

The BFG ATs 255/70/R16 come out to be 30.2x10.2 and 265/70/R16 is 30.7x10.7....but the 265/75 come out to be like 31.8 diameter. I think playing it safe would be 255 or 265/70s since you know the others will rub.

Back